Sign In

Community Event​s & Block Parties

How to Plan a Community Event​

All outdoor events on public or private property that meet one or more of the following criteria must complete a Community Event application:

  • Multiple vendors on one property
  • Street closures (other than for neighborhood block parties)
  • Serving and/or selling alcohol
  • Activities on park property
  • Attendance in excess of 250 people at any one time

Ask yourself these basic questions at the beginning of your planning process and before completing the Community Event Application. Determining answers early on will help you organize and execute an effective event that is enjoyable for everyone involved and provides little disruption to the surrounding area.

Be sure to download the community events guide to aid you in the application process.

See map for upcoming street closure information.​

expand Title : Planning a Parade ‎(1)
expand Title : Planning a Run or Marathon ‎(1)
expand Title : Planning a Street Closure ‎(1)
expand Title : Planning an Outdoor Concert ‎(1)
Community Event Application

Fill out the Community Event Application

​How to Plan a Block Party​

​​Please keep the following things in mind as you begin pla​​nning your Block Party. Being informed about the process will help you organize and execute an effective event that is enjoyable for all those involved.

Residential streets or alleys may be closed for up to 5 hours to hold a neighborhood party involving residents in a block or specific area. No fee is required.​

The application includes a petition which should include the name, address and signatures from at least two-thirds of the residents on both sides of the street whose driveway access will be closed. The purpose is to notify and obtain permission from the residents for the street closure. The application must also provide the date, time and location of the block party, as well as a contact person (including cell phone number) for the duration of the event. The applicant signing the form requesting the street closure is responsible for any damages to people or property.​

A letter of approval will be returned to the send​er. Police, Fire and Transit Departments will also be notified of the event approval for their information. To facilitate the quickest response, applicants are encouraged to provide an email address on the application to which the approval letter may be sent.

Barricades and Flashers​

Residents are responsible for renting or borrowing the necessary regulation barricades and flashers to close the street. Businesses which rent barricades are listed in the yellow pages (or you may borrow from a contractor, if feasible).

The City does NOT provide barricades. In addition, the City authorizes only the use of regulation barricades. (No vehicles, bales of hay, rope, sawhorse, etc.) All barricades must be removed no later than 10:00pm.

How to Apply

Submit the Block Party Application at least five (5) business days prior to the event.

​Application may be delivered in person or mailed to this address:

City of Wichita
Division of Arts & Cultural Services
334 N Mead
Wichita, KS 67202

OR application may be emailed to

Related Links:
City Code 3.11.220 - Block Parties