Recreational Fires and Fire Pit Rules: Recreational Fire Pit Rules.pdf
- Required 500 foot clearance from any property line, structure, or roadway, or approved by the Wichita Fire Department.
- Open burning shall not take place when wind velocity exceeds 15 mph.
- Responsible persons shall be present when burning is conducted and provide fire protection.
- Current Burn Permit must be on-site when burning.
- Fire must be completely out one hour before sundown (except by special permission).
- Fire Dispatcher must be notified at 9-1-1 each day prior to burning.
- No material shall be burned except types listed on the permit.
- Burning must not create dense smoke, smoke nuisance, or a traffic hazard.
- Only trees, wood, vegetation rubbish will be allowed to be burned. Materials being burned must be from the burn permit site, no transporting material from another site allowed.
- NOT ALLOWED to burn - construction materials, trash, plastics, tires, asphalt roofing material, asbestos containing material, aerosol cans, coated wire, etc.
Ceremonial Bonfires -require a Wichita Fire Department burn permit.
Safety Requirements - Open burning, ceremonial bonfires, recreational fires and use of portable outdoor fireplaces shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum rating 4-A or other approved on-site fire extinguishing equipment (such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.