The Wichita Fire Department Citizens' Fire Academy is designed to increase understanding of fire and emergency medical operations and to promote citizen interaction with Wichita Fire Department firefighters. The program will enhance awareness of the department's capabilities and limitations; develop realistic expectations of response times from point of dispatch; develop cooperative relationships between firefighters and the citizens of Wichita and encourage participants to become more aware of the dangers of fire and benefits of fire prevention.
Citizens must be at least 18 years of age and live in the City of Wichita. All applicants must submit to a background check and must sign a waiver releasing the City of Wichita of all liabilities while participating in the Academy. There is no charge to participants.
Topics included in schedule
- WFD History/Introductions
- Community Risk Reduction, Fire Prevention: Inspection/Public Education & Fire Investigations
- Dispatch (911) and Emergency Operations Center (EOC)
- Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation
- SCBA-Search and Rescue
- Heavy Rescue/Hazardous Materials
- Vehicle Extrication
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Hose Evolutions
- Simulated Fire Evolutions