We are now accepting applications for an academy class beginning in July 2016.
First Contact Questionnaire PDF
Physical Fitness Test Packet
To become a Police Recruit the following steps must be completed in this order:
o Go to the Employment link, this will take you to the Human Resources website;
o Go to Search for Jobs, scroll down the list to “Police Recruit”;
o Open the link and click “Apply” in the right hand corner. Set up an account with the City of Wichita and complete the City of Wichita Application.
o After the application is completed and submitted Human Resources will send an email acknowledging the application. The email will also provide a link to self-schedule the Aptitude Test for Police Recruit. Contact Human Resources at 316-268-4531, if you have any questions.
o Take the aptitude test on the scheduled date.
o Go to the Police Recruit link under the Recruitment header.
o Print off the First Contact Questionnaire PDF and the Physical Fitness Test Packet under the Application Process tab.
o Fill out the questionnaire completely, with the exception of Page 5 and page 44.
o Return the First Contact Questionnaire to:
§ Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center
2235 W. 37th Street North
Wichita, KS 67204
· The First Contact Questionnaire will be reviewed by the Pre-employment Detectives, and a Background Check will be conducted. After the background check has been successfully passed, the Pre-employment Detectives will contact the applicant for a First Contact Interview.
· The Physical Agility Test is the next step in the process. Complete the Physical Fitness Test Packet. The Physical Agility test is given every Wednesday at 9:00 am at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center, located at 2235 W. 37th Street North. The requirements for the Physical Agility Test are in the Physical Fitness Test Packet. If there is inclement weather, call the Training Center at 660-3810 to see if the Physical Agility Test will be given. The Physical Agility test is located on Academy grounds so applicants can practice at their leisure.
· After all the above steps have been completed, an Oral Board interview will be scheduled. After successful completion of the Oral Board Interview, the Applicant will be placed on the Eligibility List for the new Police Recruit Class.
· Polygraph Examination
· Home Interview
· Command Staff Interview
· If nominated by the Chief of Police for a position as a Police Recruit Officer, additional testing will follow, including:
o Psychological Examination.
o Physical Examination.
o Cooper’s Run - 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes or less.
· Upon successful completion of all steps, appointment to the Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center is made by the Chief of Police.
Out of State Applicants
Out of state applicants will go through the same application process but we will attempt to minimize required travel to Wichita. If you have any questions, call the pre-employment section at 316-660-3810.
If you are interested in receiving Veteran’s Preference, you must submit your DD 214 during your first contact interview at the Training Center. Qualified veterans are guaranteed an interview for a position for which they apply and meet the qualifications for the position, but are not guaranteed to be hired for the job. Spouses of veterans may also receive preference, and must submit a copy of their marriage license with the DD 214 paperwork.
If you have additional questions in regards to recruitment, qualifications, etc., you may send your email inquiry to RBolin@wichita.gov.