City Hall will be closed Monday, July 4. For more information on other City facilities, read the press release
Wichita-Sedgwick County Access Advisory Board
The mission of the Wichita-Sedgwick County Access Advisory Board is to enhance the community by the contributions of persons with disabilities; to make a positive difference in their relationship with the City of Wichita and businesses that serve it by working toward providing access to facilities, programs, and employment, enabling persons with disabilities to participate in the social and economic life of the City, thereby achieving maximum personal independence.
The Board has the following duties and responsibilities:
- Advise the City of Wichita ADA Coordinator, the Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator, and departmental ADA coordinators.
- Designate one or more members to serve on the City of Wichita Art and Design Review Board. The member or members shall be designated by the Chairperson with the approval of the Access Advisory Board.
- Review all city codes and county resolutions with the assistance of the city Law Department and county counselor’s office, respectively, and recommend amendments where necessary to ensure that the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act are met.
- Assist in resolution of any access issues concerning city and county facilities and programs regarding persons with disabilities.
- Develop recommendations on the future role of the access of persons with disabilities to programs in the city and county, and help determine immediate access priorities.
- Advise other public or private entities on access issues where it appears the board can make a positive contribution to resolve such problems.
- Advise the city and county on any other matter concerning persons with disabilities as the board deems appropriate.
- Hold such public hearings as the Board deems necessary.
- Develop operating policies for the Board.
- Appoint individuals as members of the Board.
Download the Wichita Access Advisory Board Members Roster (updated March 27, 2012)
- The Board shall consist of members with terms of one year each commencing May 1 of each year. Each member shall serve the full term and until his or her successor is appointed and qualified. The Board shall include substantial representation by persons with disabilities, design professionals and representatives from businesses or organizations who provide goods or services to persons with disabilities.
- Each member of the city council and the mayor shall appoint one member; each member of the county commission and the city and county managers shall each appoint one member; and at least nine members shall consist of representatives of the following organizations:
- City of Wichita ADA Coordinator
- Sedgwick County ADA Coordinator
- Unified School District No. 259
- Independent Living Resource Center, Inc.
- Kansas Disability Coalition, Inc.
- Muscular Dystrophy Association, Inc.
- Community Developmental Disability Organization
- Sedgwick County Department on Aging
- One representative from the following organizations:
- Starkey, Inc.
- Kansas Elks Training Center for the Handicapped
- Rainbows United
- ARC of Sedgwick County
- One representative from the following organizations:
- National Federation of the Blind
- Wichita Association for the Visually Handicapped
- Wichita Association of the Deaf
- Cerebral Palsy Research Foundation
- Veteran’s Administration
- Sedgwick County Association of Cities
- Staff support shall be the shared responsibility of the city and county ADA coordinators. It shall be the responsibility of staff to prepare summaries of the board meetings which will be distributed as expeditiously as possible to the full board and made available to the public upon request and will be ratified by the full board at its next meeting.
- Each member of organizations 2c through 2n may designate, in writing, an alternate member(s) representing the same interest as the designated member. The members will fully brief the alternates on the progress of the discussions and will give them full authority when they serve on the board. No person may represent more than one board member during the same meeting.
- The Chairperson of the board shall be elected by a majority of the members of the advisory board at the first meeting after May 1 of each year. The Chairperson of the board may appoint a Vice-Chairperson and Chairpersons of any subcommittees.
- Any member of the Board who has been absent from three consecutive meetings or from one-half of the meetings held during any twelve month period of time may be replaced by the appointing authority. The Chairperson of the Board shall provide written notice to the Board member and to the appointing authority for the nonattending Board member. The appointing authority and, if applicable, the organization the nonattending member represents, may designate or appoint another person to fill the remainder of the term of the position.
- Additional board members may be appointed by the City Manager or County Manager.
- Subcommittees may be appointed by the chairperson of the board to address specific issues consistent with the purpose of the board. Subcommittees meetings are open to the public and the subcommittees may include persons who are not members of the Access Advisory Board.
- Each board member shall refrain from violating any of the statutes of the state which regulate conflicts of interest where such statutes are applicable to the board members.
- Board members must be residents of Sedgwick County.
- All meetings of the Wichita/Sedgwick County Access Advisory Board shall be open to the public.
- A quorum of one-third of the board membership will be required to conduct business of the board.
- A progress report of subcommittee meetings shall be prepared and sent by subcommittee chairs to board members prior to the next meeting. The subcommittee report will be made available to the public upon request to the Board. The progress report shall include names and affiliations of those present; the date, time and location of the meeting; and a description of issues discussed and recommendations made, if any.
- Board members and/or any group of board members do not have the authority to speak on behalf of the board or to represent the board on any issue unless authorized by a majority of the members of the board at a regular meeting.
- Board and subcommittee meetings will be held in accessible locations and provide for communications access. Persons attending board meetings are requested to refrain from using perfume, cologne, and other fragrances for the comfort of other participants.
- Advisory board meetings will be held monthly or as determined by the board.
City Engineer's Office
455 N Main, 7th Floor
Wichita, KS 67202
8 AM - 5 PM
Monday - Friday
P: (316) 268-4448
F: (316) 219-6448
Hearing and/or speech impaired persons using a TTY may contact us
through the Kansas Relay Center at 1-800-766-3777 or 711.
Email ADA Title II Coordinator