Council Member Williams is a long time resident of Northeast Wichita. She attended Heights High School and Emporia State University. She served as a teacher for USD 259 at Hamilton Middle School for 28 years and headed the middle school after school program for the district for 7 years.
She is the oldest of nine children and was born and raised in the Wichita community, which gives her the insight she needs to make the decisions necessary for the entire city and not just her district. She is married to Billy D. Williams, and they are the proud parents of BJ and Darrin and they currently have 4 grandchildren.
Her passion began with youth and then grew to the love of all, as she became more engaged and entrenched in working in the community. She started her community involvement by attending the Wichita Citizens Academy, assuming an office with the KenMar Neighborhood Association where she is a long standing member and served on the District 1 Advisory Board from 2002-2007. She also worked with Wichita Independent Neighborhood (WIN) to host a job fair for our youth. From there she became a member of the WIN Board and her passion continued to grow and her leadership became more vigorous in serving the community.
Before coming to the Wichita City Council, Lavonta had just retired from Wichita Public Schools as a classroom educator for 28 years and the director of after-school programs for 7 years – serving a total of 35 years of service with youth. She also served as the National Youth Sports Program Coordinator at Wichita State University for 4 years. She was appointed to the District 1 City Council Member seat in April 2007. She was then elected by the people to serve as the City Council Member in 2009. She is also the first woman elected from her district and the first African American woman serving in the Vice Mayor position.
Council Member Williams believes in family values, grass root efforts, collaborations, and being a great steward of tax dollars, and youth and senior services. She is meeting the needs of the northeast community and continually looking for ways to improve the quality of life for all residents.
Presently, Council Member Williams has been working hard on Economic Development and infrastructure for parts of the community that have deteriorated over the past couple of decades. She is and always has been committed to the community and strives to empower all citizens to seek the best Quality of Life they can.
- District I City Council Member
- Vice Mayor City of Wichita
- District I Advisory Board
- National League of Cities
- NBC LEO Secretary
- NBC LEO Assistant Secretary
- Community Economic Development Committee
- Appointment to the Board of Directors Nominating Committee
- National League of Cities (NLC) 2016 Board of Directors
Past Community Involvement
- Municipal Court Judge Evaluation Committee
- Kansas Public Health Leadership Institute (KPHLI)
Current Community Involvement
- Neighborhood Associations (various)
- Wichita Independent Neighborhoods (WIN)
- Bachelor of Science in Education (BSE), Emporia State University
- Continuing Education Hours, Wichita State University
- USD 259 Board of Education, Project Director of After-School Program- 2000 to 2007
- USD 259 Board of Education, Health, Recreation & Physical Education Teacher- 1971 to 2000
- Wichita State University, National Youth Sports Program- 1991 to 1995
- African American Coalition
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority (Beta Kappa Omega Chapter)
- Arts Council
- Community Development Board of the YMCA
- Criminal Justice Coordinating Committee
- Exploration Place Board Member
- GO Wichita – Convention Bureau Board
- Health & Wellness Coalition
- Honorary Chair of the Amazing Faith Dinner Dialogue Project
- Interfaith Ministries Board
- Mid-America All Indian Center Board
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) – Vice President
- The Kansas African American Museum Board
- Visioneering Wichita
- Wichita Downtown Development Corporation Board
- Wichita Independent Neighborhood Community Member