Born into a military family, James grew up in several locations including Spain, Florida, West Virginia, California and Missouri. When James' family wanted to find a place that they could call home, they made one final move to Kansas, which James has called home since 1985. In 1993, James graduated from Halstead High School, where he was honored by the faculty and inducted into the National Honor Society. With a goal of becoming a commercial airline pilot, James enrolled into the aviation program at Hesston College. An automobile accident resulted in injuries that prevented him from finishing flight training. After recovering from his injuries, James went to work full-time. He worked in construction, forklift customer service and sales and equipment rental management before beginning a career in 1998 at Raytheon Aircraft (now Hawker-Beechcraft) where he made composite aircraft parts. He was a Union Shop Steward during his 11 years at Hawker-Beechcraft.
Later, he started his own tile and flooring business while working at Hawker-Beechcraft. James currently works in composite manufacturing at PCI Composites in west Wichita.
He and his wife, Amie, married in 1995 after they met during a 1994 mission trip to Mexico. They have three children.
- Sedgwick County Association of Cities
- Arkansas River Advisory Committee
Past Community Involvement
- James has enjoyed being part of several singing groups and serving in his church
- Missions coordinator for Mexico missions
Current Community Involvement
- James is an Assistant Scoutmaster in Boy Scouts of America, has completed the Wood Badge leadership training course, and enjoys scouting with his son.
- Wife: Amie
- Son: Ian
- Daughters: Eden and Lily
- Halstead High School
- Hutchinson Community College
- Hesston College
- PCI Composites 2009-present
- Hawker Beech Craft 1998 to 2009
- Certified Six Sigma Gold Specialist at Raytheon
- Member of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers 1998-2009