Councilmember Longwell is a long time resident of West Wichita. He grew up in a west side neighborhood and attended West High School and Wichita State University.
Leadership and stewardship has always been a passion of his. He started his community involvement as a Maize School Board member. He initially became involved because his children attended the Maize schools. His involvement grew to hold leadership roles on the board including the Presidency.
That experience led to this interest in running for City Council in 2007. He was appointed the District V City Councilmember in April of 2007. He was re-elected for a second term in April of 2011.
While on the Council he has been influential in developing more flood control, increased public safety and better access to West Wichita. Councilman Longwell believes in family values, being accountable to taxpayers and meeting the needs of a fast growing West Side.
- City Council Member, 2007-present
- Vice Mayor- April 2010- April 2011
- Republican Precinct person for 509 (elected 2006)
- REAP Executive Committee
- Labor Management Committee Member
- WAMPO Board Member
- 20-year Special Assessment Committee Member
Past Community Involvement
- Served 12 years on Maize Board of Education, including service as President, Vice-President, Governmental Relations Representative and Journey to Excellence strategic planning team
- Served 6 years on Catholic Family Federal Credit Union Board of Directors
Current Community Involvement
- WSU West-Side Campus Advisory Board Member
- Trans-net Advisory Board Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club Charter Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club President
- Wife: Susie
- Daughter: Angela & son-in-law Scott Pankratz, Granddaughter Marissa
- Twin Sons: Ryan and Bryan & daughter-in-law, Alana
- West High School
- Wichita State University
- VP Ad Astra Print Resources 2008- present
- Marketing Director for The Print Source 2005-2008
- General Manager for Thermal Trade Graphics 1984-2005
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish
- Knights of Columbus Council 4118