A lifelong Kansan and 26-year resident of District 6, Janet Miller was elected to the City Council in April 2009. Since her election, she has had significant involvement in Visioneering Wichita, the Project Downtown Master Plan, Botanica’s Children’s Garden, NOMAR International Market, and the Bicycle Master Plan.
Prior to being elected, she was involved in many community activities serving on the board of Historic Midtown Citizens Association (HMCA), the District 6 Advisory Board, and as president of the Wichita Board of Park Commissioners. She played central roles in the strategic master plan for Wichita’s Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces, update of the Wichita/Sedgwick County Cultural Arts Plan Update, Visioneering Regional Recreation Alliance, and the Wichita/Sedgwick County Plan to End Chronic Homelessnes
Councilwoman Miller is an ardent advocate for the NOMAR International Market District, a vibrant downtown, and thriving, diverse neighborhoods. Much of her work focuses on diverse neighborhood interests, sustainability, cultural arts, and economic development. Today she serves on the boards of NOMAR Community Development Corporation, Wichita Downtown Development Corporation, and Botanica – The Wichita Gardens.
Janet earned her BS in Education from Kansas State University and graduated with English and Mathematics certifications. After teaching, her professional career evolved into marketing, communications, and administration. Along the way she became active in her neighborhood association and civically engaged in the community, which ultimately led her to run for City Council.
Janet and her husband of 22 years, Nile Dillmore, live in Historic Midtown.
- Vice Mayor, 2012
- Member of Wichita City Council, April 2009 to present
- Wichita Area Metropolitan Planning Organization , 2009 - present
- Wichita/ Sedgwick County Oversight Committee, 2008 - present
- District 6 Advisory Board, 2007 - 2009
- President, Wichita Board of Park Commissioners, 2005 - 2009
- Kansas State University, BS in Secondary Education
- Husband, Nile Dillmore, 22 years
- Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center
- Kansas Health Foundation
- Exploration Place
- Mid America Credit Union
- USD 259
- Board of Botanica - the Wichita Gardens
- Wichita Downtown Development Corporation (WDDC)
- NOMAR Community Development Corporation
- Visioneering Wichita Steering Committee
- Visioneering Wichita Environmental Sustainability Alliance
Previous Community Service
- Board of Historic Midtown Citizens Association
- Board of Historic Midtown Community Development Association
- Visioneering's Regional Recreation Alliance
- Wichita/Sedgwick County Taskforce to End Chronic Homelessness
- Downtown Wichita Association Board