Leadership and stewardship has always been among his aspirations.
Mayor Longwell began his community involvement as a member of the Maize School Board of Education where his children attended school. There he served 12 years, where his contributions grew to leadership roles, including serving in the offices of President, Vice-President and Governmental Relations.
These experiences led to his interest in running for City Council, where he succeeded and was appointed the District 5, City Council Member in April of 2007.
Mayor Longwell’s goals and objectives are to move the City of Wichita forward by promoting economic development among city and county lines, generating jobs and creating a business friendly environment.
Mayor Longwell has championed many issues related to improving the community including government accountability, accessibility and transparency; economic development and job creation; strategic regional partnerships; quality of life issues; a strong infrastructure; and public transit.
Mayor Longwell and his wife, Susie, have an adult daughter and twin adult sons, two daughter in-laws, a son in-law and two granddaughters.
- Mayor, 2015 - present
- City Council Member, 2007-2015
- Vice Mayor, April 2010-April 2011
- Republican Precinct person for 509 (elected 2006)
- REAP Executive Committee
- Labor Management Committee Member
- WAMPO Board Member
- 20-year Special Assessment Committee Member
Past Community Involvement
- Served 12 years on Maize Board of Education, including service as President, Vice-President, Governmental Relations Representative and Journey to Excellence strategic planning team
- Served 6 years on Catholic Family Federal Credit Union Board of Directors
Current Community Involvement
- WSU West-Side Campus Advisory Board Member
- Trans-net Advisory Board Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club Charter Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club President
- Wife: Susie
- Daughter: Angela & son-in-law Scott Pankratz, Granddaughter Marissa
- Twin Sons: Ryan & daughter-in-law, Vivienne Voo and Bryan & daughter-in-law, Alana
- West High School
- Wichita State University
- President of Ad Astra Print Resources 2008 - August 2015
- Marketing Director for The Print Source 2005 - 2008
- General Manager for Thermal Trade Graphics 1984 - 2005
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish
- Knights of Columbus Council 4118