Mayor Longwell was elected to office in April 2015. He is a long-time resident of Wichita. He grew up in a west-side neighborhood and attended West High School and Wichita State University.
Public service is his passion. He started his civic work as a Maize School Board member. He initially became involved because his children attended Maize schools. His involvement led to leadership roles including as board President.
That experience inspired him to run for City Council in 2007. He was elected to serve as the District V City Councilmember in April 2007. He was re-elected for a second term in April 2011.
During his eight years on the Council, Mayor Longwell worked on developing more flood control, improving public safety and increasing access to west Wichita. Mayor Longwell has championed many issues related to improving the community including government accountability, accessibility and transparency; economic development and job creation; strategic regional partnerships; quality of life issues; a strong infrastructure; and public transit. He and his wife, Suzie, have a daughter, Angela; and twin sons, Ryan and Bryan.
- Mayor, 2015 - present
- City Council Member, 2007-2015
- Vice Mayor, April 2010-April 2011
- Republican Precinct person for 509 (elected 2006)
- REAP Executive Committee
- Labor Management Committee Member
- WAMPO Board Member
- 20-year Special Assessment Committee Member
Past Community Involvement
- Served 12 years on Maize Board of Education, including service as President, Vice-President, Governmental Relations Representative and Journey to Excellence strategic planning team
- Served 6 years on Catholic Family Federal Credit Union Board of Directors
Current Community Involvement
- WSU West-Side Campus Advisory Board Member
- Trans-net Advisory Board Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club Charter Member
- Sunrise Rotary Club President
- Wife: Susie
- Daughter: Angela & son-in-law Scott Pankratz, Granddaughter Marissa
- Twin Sons: Ryan and Bryan & daughter-in-law, Alana
- West High School
- Wichita State University
- VP Ad Astra Print Resources 2008- present
- Marketing Director for The Print Source 2005-2008
- General Manager for Thermal Trade Graphics 1984-2005
- St. Francis of Assisi Parish
- Knights of Columbus Council 4118