Navigate Up
Sign In

Municipal Court

Court Information


What happens if I'm late paying my ticket or don't schedule a court hearing by the due date?

Any person issued a citation and summoned to appear in Municipal Court must respond to the summons within 10 days of the citation being filed. Failure to do so means that you have failed to comply and will result in additional costs being assessed. Failure to comply with this summons may also result in a warrant being issued for your arrest and/or suspension of driving privileges.

How do I find out if I have a warrant and what do I do next?

The warrant search​ will help you determine if you have an outstanding warrant issued by the City of Wichita. After determining which type of warrant, see how to clear the warrant utilizing the Warrants tab located on the Court Processes page.​

How much do I owe on my ticket or court case?

To find the amount due, please visit our online payment site or click here for a listing of our fine schedule. You may also call our automated phone system at (316) 268-4611.

Can I get more time to pay on my citation or court fine?

You may be eligible for a one-time, 30-day extension of time to pay on a traffic or parking citation. To request for an extension, please visit Webcourts or call our automated system at (316) 268-4611. If granted an extension on your citation, an additional fee will be added to the amount due.

If you need additional time to pay, please visit the Court Clerk’s office to schedule a payment plan. Payment plans are available for any payable case not referred to collections.

Why is my license suspended?

To find out why your license is suspended, you should contact the Department of Motor Vehicles in Topeka. The number is (785) 296-3671 and (785) 296-3613 (TTY only). Be sure to make note of the location/court and case numbers they give you. To check the status of your driver's license click here.

When is my next court date?

If you have your court docket number, you can find your court date online by visiting Webcourts, the docket search tool, or calling our automated system at (316) 268-4611.

If you do not have a docket number, you can contact the Court Clerk's Office at (316) 268-4611 and press zero to speak to a clerk. Please be patient, we receive hundreds of calls each day.

Can I change my court date?

The only person who can grant a change of court date is a municipal court judge, however, court dates WILL NOT be changed within 48 hours of the scheduled appearance. To request a court date change you must appear on the Court's Walk-In docket.

What if I need an attorney, but can't afford one?

If you feel you need an attorney to represent you, and if you are indigent, you may qualify for a City Public Defender. To request a Public Defender, appear at your scheduled court hearing and ask the judge for a City Public Defender. You will be given another court date to return to court along with information on contacting the City Public Defender.

How do I apply for diversion?

Information on Diversion Programs is available online.

How do I keep a moving violation off of my driving record? How do I get a charge amended?

Charges can only be amended by the City Prosecutor. The Prosecutor's Office has various diversion programs and amendment options. For questions regarding amendments, diversions, or keeping charges off of your driving record, please contact them at (316) 268-4569.

Will this ticket be reported to my insurance? How many points is it?

​Kansas does not go by the "point system" in regard to your driving record. Your license will be subject to administrative suspension if you receive 3 moving violations within a year. Whether a violation is a moving infraction which is reported to insurance companies is determined by the Department of Motor Vehicles in Topeka.

If you have questions regarding the status of your driver's license or what charges are considered moving violations, you should contact the DMV at (785) 296-3963 and (785) 296-3601 (TTY only).

How do I find out why someone is in jail, and what it will take to get them out?

If the individual is being held in the Sedgwick County Adult Detention Facility, you can contact the booking desk at (316) 660-0781. Personnel can advise you of the hold and how to get the person released. Please make note of any case numbers and locations you are given as this will usually quicken the release process.

If the individual is being held elsewhere, you will need to contact the facility in which they are housed to determine the steps necessary for their release.

I received a subpoena to appear in court and cannot attend. What do I do? I received a subpoena to appear in court and do not know what this case is for.

A subpoena is a court order requiring your appearance at the stated date and time. If you need more information about the case or if you cannot appear, you must contact the City Prosecutor at (316) 268-4569.

I was found guilty in court and don't agree with the judge's decision.

If you do not agree with the judge's ruling, you have the right to appeal your case. Municipal Court cases are appealed to the District Court of the Eighteenth Judicial District. The case will be tried again before a District Court Judge and, upon request, before a jury. Immediately upon conviction, you should advise the Municipal Court Judge of your intent to appeal. An appeal bond will be noted on your paperwork.

If you intend to appeal, DO NOT pay the fines and costs assessed. You will be given 14 days to appeal. If you decide not to appeal your case, you must pay the fine and costs within the 14 days.

You must file the appeal within fourteen (14) days of the Municipal Court conviction. Saturdays and Sundays are included unless the 14th day falls on Saturday, Sunday, or a Holiday. Take the blue copy you were given in Municipal Court to the Court Clerk's Office, Room 714, Sedgwick County Courthouse, 525 N. Main. There is a filing fee of $98.50 which must be paid to the District Court and a $10.00 appeal fee will be added to your Municipal Court case. If the case is dismissed in District Court, you will not be required to pay the Municipal Court fine and costs, or the $10.00 appeal fee.



Attorney IVR Access Application.pdfAttorney IVR Access Application
Attorney Walk-In Docket.pdfAttorney Walk-In Docket
Expungement Information Packet.pdfExpungement Information Packet
Motion and Order for Expungement of Arrest Records.pdfMotion and Order for Expungement of Arrest Records
Motion and Order for Expungement of Conviction or Diversion and Related Records.pdfMotion and Order for Expungement of Conviction or Diversion and Related Records
Motion and Order to Set Aside Plea.pdfMotion and Order to Set Aside Plea
Notice and Order of Defendant's Approval of Continuance.pdfNotice and Order of Defendant's Approval of Continuance
Record Check Request Form.pdfRecord Check Request Form

 Rules of Municipal Court

The Rules of the Municipal Court are currently being revised.​

Municipal Court
455 N Main, 2nd Floor
Wichita, KS 67202​

7 AM - 5 PM
Monday - Friday​

P: (316) 268-4611
Telephones are answered
8 AM - 5 PM, Monday - Friday.

F: (316) 268-4249

Email Municipal Court

Website Policy  |  User Login