Frequently Asked Questions
What do I have to do to receive the cash incentive?
- Schedule an annual physical with your doctor
- Give your doctor a copy of your Health Risk Assessment during this appointment and go over the results with him or her. Have your doctor fill out the Physician Verification Document.
- Make sure the doctor conducts a biometric screening during the appointment
- Participate in various activities, or have your doctor sign off on various elements, to earn 500 points
How much money will I get for earning 500 points?
- Family Premium Plan will receive $300
- Single Premium Plan will receive $200
- Family Select Plan will receive $200
- Single Select Plan will receive $100
(all amounts will be “grossed-up” so that the City will cover the taxes and you will receive the full reward amount!)
When will I get the cash incentive?
- The incentive will be added to the first paycheck you receive in December.
Who is eligible to receive the incentive?
- Only active employees enrolled in health insurance are eligible. If you terminate employment prior to December you will not receive the incentive.
When can I turn in documentation?
- Documentation will be accepted during Open Enrollment. No documentation will be accepted early or late.
Does my spouse have to earn points?
- No, at this time spouses are not required to participate and there is no additional incentive available for spousal participation.
Will this program ever change?
- The City reserves the right to change the point structure, program requirements, or availability as needed or required by law.
I’m not enrolled in City health insurance; can I still participate in activities and earn the incentive?
- Even if you’re not enrolled in City health insurance, you can still participate in City sanctioned wellness activities and are eligible to receive the prizes attached to each activity. You are not eligible to receive the incentive if you are not enrolled in the City’s health insurance.
Will any prizes I win be taxed?
- Yes, all prizes that are not cash prizes must be taxed, per the Internal Revenue Code section 132. This will show in paystubs as “wellness imputed income.” Cash incentives are taxed, but will be grossed-up when awarded so tax implications will not be seen at the initial withholding. You may refuse the prize upon award in writing within 24 hours or taxes will be withheld. Download the Federal Tax Implications of Wellness Incentives and Rewards for more information.
I don't belong to a gym, but I do exercise regularly, how can I earn points for this?
- You should track your activity for a year, on an excel spreadsheet, a piece of notebook paper, or a word document, whatever is most convenient for you. Turn this documentation in during Open Enrollment next year and if your exercise averages out to 3 times a week, you will earn the 100 points.
I'm not comfortable giving the City my health information, do I have to?
- No documentation turned in for the Wellness Rewards program should contain protected information. Do not turn in anything that identifies medications, weight, diagnosis, etc.
What kind of documentation can I turn in?
- Explanation of Benefit forms from the dentist, the Physician Affidavit form, copies of registrations from races or events, log-in sheets from your gym, your tracking information as recorded throughout the year.
Where can I find more information on upcoming events and the Physician Affidavit?
- Information will be posted on Wellness page of the portal and on the www.wichita.gov website, under the Human Resources informational page.
I will earn more than 500 points; do I get a bonus for extra points?
- Employees who earn 700 points or more will be eligible for a Wellness Drawing in November so don't stop at 500 points, we encourage you to keep going!