BOARD OF PARK COMMISSIONERS
The Board of Park Commissioners is committed to activities that support the goals of the Department of Parks and Recreation. Board members advocate for and educate about park resources and partnerships. Specific goals are as follows:
1. Continue to advance, advocate for, and participate in the development of the Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces (PROS) Plan.
A. Highlight successes whenever possible with an Annual “State of Our Parks” Report for District Advisory Boards and/or Neighborhood Associations.
B. Continue to build relationships and engage citizen and advocacy groups.
C. Incorporate adopted Downtown Master Plan park elements into the PROS Plan.
D. Advocate for adoption of the Aquatics Master Plan.
E. Advocate for more park land in quality locations and areas of growth.
2. Sustain and support the Golf Advisory Committee and the Wichita Parks Foundation.
3. Continue to work on developing relationships with partners and other stakeholders.
A. Elevate the importance of the annual Park and Recreation budget and CIP submission among various groups.
1. Meet with individual City Council members about the Park budget and CIP submission.
2. Develop ways to involve the business community in supporting the budget and CIP submission.
3. Seek additional opportunities for public/private partnerships including, but not limited to school districts and the YMCA.
B. Seek opportunities for effective signage and way finding to City park, recreation and golf facilities.
4. Develop Riverbank Revitalization and Advocacy.
A. Adopt revised River Ordinances.
B. Educate citizens on river access projects.
5. Provide feedback on park projects and share concerns from each district.
A. Review park operations in each district
B. Work with citizens on concerns in each district
C. Seek support for park projects and operations in each district