The Riverside Parks, parcels of which were acquired in 1886, 1887, 1897, 1899 and 1917, form the nucleus of the Wichita Park system.
There are three separate areas (Central, North, and South) located along the Little Arkansas River near the heart of the city.
Central Riverside Park has a bandstand/open air stage area located west of Nims Street.
Kansas Wildlife Exhibit
The exhibit in Central Riverside Park features over 25 species in 8 naturalistic cages.
Animals include beavers, red fox, porcupine, mink, hawks, owls and more.
Central Riverside Park has one playground with a sand safety surface.
Built in 2004, the gazebo in Central Riverside Park overlooks a large lake and floating lily pad metal sculptures.
The gazebo has electrical outlets and lights on photo sensor.
Built in 2004, the interactive fountain at Central Riverside Park is very popular with children and adults during the summer.
Children and adults are encouraged to play, but NO PETS are allowed.
This structure was designed by W.R. Stringfield and built in 1911 as a concession stand.
In 1913, it was remodeled as a public restroom.
Since 1936, the building has been used for storage.
Central Riverside has a restroom facility located near the Kansas Wildlife Exhibit.
Murdock Street Bridge
Built in 1925, the Murdock Street Bridge takes visitors across the Little Arkansas River to Riverside Park.
The bridge was renovated in 2005.
Bronze sculpture by Allen George Newman, 1926
Standing at ease, the full-length male figure is dressed in a soldier's uniform with a rifle in his proper right arm.
This soldier was called a "Hiker" during the Spanish-American War.
Located west of Nims on Murdock.
The cannon weighs 800 pounds and was cast in Seville, Spain in 1794.
It was captured in Cuba during the Spanish-American War in 1898 and presented to the citizens of Wichita by Mayor Finlay Ross in 1900.
Located west of Nims on Murdock.
Sculptures by Steve Murillo, 2003
These standing stones at Central Riverside Park structure a technologically accurate astronomical observatory.
It tracks the sun's location by aligning the stones at sunset, sunrise, and at local noon on the first day of each of the four seasons.
The .5 mile oval walking path in Central Riverside Park echoes the original horse racetrack once referred to as Davidson's Park.
Twelve historical markers can be found along the path with archival photos and text about the history of Riverside Park.
Built in 1913 at North Riverside Park, Park Villa is a beautiful air-conditioned stone building with a covered wrap-around porch that contains four picnic tables.
A paved parking lot to the east provides 19 stalls.
L.W. Clapp designed the Art Deco "Comfort Station" in North Riverside Park which was built in 1933.
The restroom facility is located west of Park Villa.
Girl Scout Little House
Located on 11th and west of Forest, this building was known as the Fresh Air Baby Camp (1920-25), a summer home for sick infants to recuperate.
For the next 75 years, the Wichita Area Girl Scout Council used the building as a day camp and troop activity house.
The Ralph Wulz Riverside Tennis Center in South Riverside Park provides facilities for citizens to enjoy tennis and handball.
Wichita businessman who served as 13th and 15th Mayor of Wichita, and was responsible for the creation of Riverside Park in the late 1890s.