· We work in partnership with homeless service providers & businesses to refer homeless to their resources or programs.
· The H.O.T team is responsible for responding to all 911 calls regarding homeless individuals or calls for service. H.O.T focuses on trying to keep homeless out of jail if possible and divert them to services or shelters.
· We also work to help make homeless successful whether its helping them get back on their medications if they have mental health issues, refer to substance abuse centers if needed, assistance in resume building, job referrals and building partnerships with them to get them the resources they need to make them successful.
· “Finding A Way Home” program. This program reunites homeless with their family to get them stabilized in a home. H.O.T currently has a 501(c) (3) fund set up for this if their family is not in Wichita. H.O.T is currently accepting donations to fund the team's efforts. If someone wishes to donate, they can send checks to The Wichita Police Department Fiscal Affairs, 455 N Main 4th floor, Wichita, KS 67202. On the memo line, please state “H.O.T Bus Fund”.
· The program utilizes three full-time officers, Officer Nate Schwiethale, Officer Dave Nienstedt, Officer Lisa Berg and supervised by Sgt. Brett Stull. The Officers have adjustable hours in order meet the demands and needs of the homeless. They have been given a phone number by Ribbit Computers and can be reached at 316-854-3013.
· Our program is modeled after Colorado Springs award winning H.O.T program in which they won the 2010 Herman Goldstein Award by dramatically reducing their homeless population by helping homeless off the streets and into homes and shelters. Wichita H.O.T has been nationally recognized by NBC News and the United States Interagency Council on Homelessness. Wichita H.O.T also recently received an award from the Wichita Crime Commission.