We are now accepting applications for academy classes beginning in the January 2016 and July 2016.
First Contact Questionnaire PDF
Physical Fitness Test Packet
To become a Police Recruit the following steps must be completed in this order:
o Go to the Employment link, this will take you to the Human Resources website;
o Go to Search for Jobs, scroll down the list to “Police Recruit”;
o Open the link and click “Apply” in the right hand corner. Set up an account with the City of Wichita and complete the City of Wichita Application.
o After the application is completed and submitted Human Resources will send an email acknowledging the application. The email will also provide a link to self-schedule the Aptitude Test for Police Recruit. Contact Human Resources at 316-268-4531, if you have any questions.
o Take the aptitude test on the scheduled date.
o Go to the Police Recruit link.
o Print off the First Contact Questionnaire PDF and the Physical Fitness Test Packet
o Fill out the questionnaire completely, with the exception of Page 5 and page 44.
o Return the First Contact Questionnaire to:
§ Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center
2235 W. 37th Street North
Wichita, KS 67204
· The First Contact Questionnaire will be reviewed by the Pre-employment Detectives, and a Background Check will be conducted. After the background check has been successfully passed. The Pre-employment Detectives will contact the applicant for a First Contact Interview.
· The Physical Agility Test is the next step in the process. Complete the Physical Fitness Test Packet. The Physical Agility test can be completed after the First Contact Interview appointment or it is given every Wednesday at 9:00 am at the Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center, located at 2235 W. 37th Street North. The requirements for the Physical Agility Test are in the Physical Fitness Test Packet. If there is inclement weather, call the Training Center at 660-3810 to see if the Physical Agility Test will be given.
o The Physical Agility test is located on Academy grounds in Sherwood Park so applicants can practice at their leisure.
· After all the above steps have been completed, an Oral Board interview will be scheduled. After successful completion of the Oral Board Interview, the Applicant will be placed on the Eligibility List for the new Police Recruit Class.
· A Polygraph Examination will be scheduled and administered by a State Certified Examiner.
· The Applicant must successfully complete the Command Staff Interview. The interview panel consists of a Lieutenant, Captain, Deputy Chief, and Chief of Police.
· If nominated by the Chief of Police for a position as a Police Recruit Officer, additional testing will follow, including:
o Psychological Examination. Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
o Physical Examination. Applicants will complete a medical examination administered by a licensed physician.
o Cooper’s Run. 1.5 mile run in 14 minutes or less.
· Upon successful completion of all steps, appointment to the Wichita-Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center is made by the Chief of Police.
Out of State Applicants
An out of state applicant must make their first trip to Wichita for the Aptitude Test. The Aptitude Test is given in the City of Wichita Human Resource Department located on the 2nd floor of the City Building, 455 N. Main, Wichita, Kansas. After successfully completing the Aptitude Test, the applicant will be given the web page to print the Applicant Questionnaire. The out of state applicant must complete the questionnaire and then send/mail the completed questionnaire to the Wichita Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center (WSCLETC), 2235 W. 37th Street North, Wichita, Kansas 67204. The Questionnaire will be reviewed by a background investigator and a determination will be made regarding the applicant’s eligibility to continue the process. If the applicant is allowed to continue the process, he/she will be contacted to schedule the First Contact Interview and Physical Agility Test.
If the out of state applicant successfully completes the First Contact Interview and Physical Agility Test, he/she will be eligible for the Oral Interview Board. If the out of state applicant is selected for an Oral Interview Board he/she will have to return for the interview. Once the Oral Interview Board is successfully completed the applicant will be eligible for a Command Staff Interview. The applicant will have to make at least one more trip if granted a Command Staff Interview. If the applicant receives a Conditional Job Offer, he/she will have to return for the Polygraph, Medical Physical Examination, Psychological Examination and the Cooper’s Run.
If you are interested in receiving Veteran’s Preference, you must submit your DD 214 during your first contact interview at the Training Center. Qualified veterans are guaranteed an interview for a position for which they apply and meet the qualifications for the position, but are not guaranteed to be hired for the job. Spouses of veterans may also receive preference, and must submit a copy of their marriage license with the DD 214 paperwork.
Applying is easy.
Simply open the link below and follow the link for applications. After signing in, complete the fill-in application, print it, and follow the directions on the cover letter. Please Contact City Human Resources at (316) 268-4531 to confirm the application has been received and processed.
Fill-in Application for Employment
If you have additional questions in regards to recruitment, qualifications, etc., you may send your email inquiry to RBolin@wichita.gov.