Physical Fitness Test Packet
To become a Police Reserve the following steps must be completed:
- All applications are completed online. You will be asked to fill out additional paperwork as the application process continues. The online application can be completed by clicking "First Contact Questionnaire PDF" above. For Veteran's Preference, see below.
- The written aptitude is a 100-question examination. The applicant will have one hour and forty-five minutes to complete the examination. The aptitude test is given every Tuesday and Thursday in the City of Wichita Human Resource Department located on the 2nd floor of the City Building, 455 N. Main, Wichita, Kansas. Please call 316-268-4531 in advance to schedule the test.
- The First Contact Interview with a member of the Pre-Employment Section. The applicant will complete the interview packet then it will be reviewed by the applicant and a member of the Pre-Employment Section.
- The physical agility test is conducted every Wednesday at 9:00 a.m. at the Wichita Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center. (Weather permitting) The applicant will first be required to complete the suspect chase. The suspect chase consists of negotiating a five-foot wall, a three-foot wall, running and climbing through a window four feet from the ground, then running back to the starting line in 47 seconds. Total distance is 160 yards. The suspect chase is located on Academy grounds in Sherwood Park so applicants can practice at their leisure. The second portion of the physical agility test is the body drag. This consists of dragging a 158 lb. dummy 30 feet in 9 seconds or less.
- A background investigation will be completed.
- Passing an Oral Board Interview.
- Successful completion of all steps will place the applicant on the eligibility list.
- Successfully passing the Command Staff Interview. This interview panel consists of a Lieutenant, Captain, Deputy Chief, and Chief of Police.
- If nominated by the Chief of Police for a position as Police Recruit Officer, additional testing will follow, including:
- Completing a polygraph examination that is administered by a State Certified Examiner. The examination will confirm information noted on the applicant’s first contact packet.
- Psychological Examination. Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
- Physical examination. Applicants will complete a medical examination administered by a licensed physician.
- Cooper’s Run. (1.5 mile run in 14 minutes or less).
- Upon successful completion of all steps, appointment to the Wichita Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center is made by the Chief of Police.
Out of State Applicants
An out of state applicant must make their first trip to Wichita for the Aptitude Test. The Aptitude Test is given in the City of Wichita Human Resource Department located on the 2nd floor of the City Building, 455 N. Main, Wichita, Kansas. After successfully completing the Aptitude Test, the applicant will be given the web page to print the Applicant Questionnaire. The out of state applicant must complete the questionnaire and then send/mail the completed questionnaire to the Wichita Sedgwick County Law Enforcement Training Center (WSCLETC), 2235 W. 37th Street North, Wichita, Kansas 67204. The Questionnaire will be reviewed by a background investigator and a determination will be made regarding the applicant’s eligibility to continue the process. If the applicant is allowed to continue the process, he/she will be contacted to schedule the First Contact Interview and Physical Agility Test.
If the out of state applicant successfully completes the First Contact Interview and Physical Agility Test, he/she will be eligible for the Oral Interview Board. If the out of state applicant is selected for an Oral Interview Board he/she will have to return for the interview. Once the Oral Interview Board is successfully completed the applicant will be eligible for a Command Staff Interview. The applicant will have to make at least one more trip if granted a Command Staff Interview. If the applicant receives a Conditional Job Offer, he/she will have to return for the Polygraph, Medical Physical Examination, Psychological Examination and the Cooper’s Run.
If you are interested in receiving Veteran’s Preference, you must submit your DD 214 during your first contact interview at the Training Center. Qualified veterans are guaranteed an interview for a position for which they apply and meet the qualifications for the position, but are not guaranteed to be hired for the job. Spouses of veterans may also receive preference, and must submit a copy of their marriage license with the DD 214 paperwork.
Applying is easy.
Simply open the link below and follow the link for applications. After signing in, complete the fill-in application, print it, and follow the directions on the cover letter. Please Contact City Human Resources at (316) 268-4531 to confirm the application has been received and processed.
If you have additional questions in regards to recruitment, qualifications, etc., you may send your email inquiry to LMMoore@wichita.gov