The City Manager Review Board will meet at 3 p.m. today in the first floor board room at City Hall, 455 N. Main.
The review board serves to further enhance the level of trust between the Wichita Police Department and the community. Members, appointed by the City Manager with input from Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer and City Council members, are representative of the community, with at least one member from each of the City’s Council districts. The board’s responsibilities include the following:
- Assist the City Manager and Police Chief in understanding community issues related to policing and in developing an active citizen/police partnership in the prevention of crime.
- Review the results of completed departmental investigations of formal citizen complaints.
- Review the results of completed departmental investigations related to allegations of excessive use of force, racial profiling and other matters of community concern.
- Conduct appeal hearings for complainants disagreeing with the findings of an official Professional Standards Bureau Administrative Investigation.
- Review existing Police Department policies, procedures and practices as requested by the City Manager.
- Advise the City Manager in writing of its findings and recommendations.
The board meets quarterly or more frequently if a formal appeal is filed.