City of Wichita water crews have been working today to repair numerous water main breaks that may be related to increasingly cold weather. Repairs will continue overnight and Friday.
“The cold temperatures may be a contributing factor,” said Elizabeth Owens, Superintendant of Water Distribution. “We’re experiencing a higher-than-average number of water main breaks.”
On Thursday afternoon, crews were working on the following:
- a main break causing part of the Eastgate mall to be without water;
- a main break at Hydraulic and Marion, which has caused low water pressure or water outages for about 30 customers;
- a main break at S.W. Blvd. (K-42) from 2037 S.W. Drive to West Street, where water is off to fewer than five customers but service interruption includes a John Deere store;
- a main break on Jade Street in Oaklawn, affecting about 35 customers;
- a main break at 16th & Kansas, affecting about 25 customers;
- a main break at 12th and Main, affecting 10 customers;
- and a main break at 551 S. Knight, affecting about 25 customers.
Repairs were completed earlier in the day at:
- 3100 block of East Jonquil in Oaklawn;
- and Hemlock Street, from Brookhaven to Hemlock Court (also in Oaklawn).
Repairs will be initiated later at the following locations:
- Pattie and Boston (for a leaking valve);
- Greenhaven and Sunview (main break);
- 2032 N. Minneapolis (main break).
Additional leaks are being assessed across the city and crews will continue to identify and work on them throughout the night. Water crews are working with street maintenance staffers to place sand and salt on icy spots.