Navigate Up
Sign In
WAMPO, MAPD and MABCD are moving to the 271 Building at 271 W. 3rd Street. For more information on the move, read the press release.


Special Election Ballot Question Briefing

City Attorney’s Office | (316) 268-4681

City Attorney Gary Rebenstorf held a news briefing today to clarify the special election ballot question regarding Charter Ordinance 216. The Feb. 28 special election asks voters whether Ambassador Hotel developers should be allowed to use bed tax funds for 15 years to help build their $22.5 million downtown project.

Specifically, the special election gives voters the opportunity to approve (Yes) or deny (No) whether developers should receive a 75 percent rebate of guest tax revenues collected from visitors staying at the Ambassador Hotel. Developers would be allowed to collect the rebate for 15 years for costs associated with redeveloping the hotel. The remaining 25 percent of the collected guest tax would be used to promote local tourism. If approved by voters, after the hotel has operated for 15 years, the rebate would end and guest tax revenues would be used to promote tourism within the city.

City ordinances allow a guest tax of six percent to be collected for all hotel rooms within the City. The guest tax, known also the bed tax, is used by the City to pay debt obligations for downtown hotels, convention centers and to promote tourism. The Feb. 28 special election will not change the assessment or the collection of the six percent guest tax.

The wording of the ballot question follows guidelines mandated by the Kansas Constitution.

A “Yes” means the City will give Ambassador Hotel developers 75 percent of the guest tax collected for 15 years. A “No” vote means the City will not reallocate the guest tax. Instead, the collected guest tax funds will be used to promote local tourism.

For more information about the special election, including advance voting:

Reunión Especial de Pregunta de Votación de Elección

El Abogado de la ciudad Gary Rebenstorf tuvo una reunión informativa para clarificar hoy la pregunta especial de votación de elección con respecto a la Ordenanza 216. La elección especial del 28 de febrero pregunta a los votantes si los inversionistas/contratistas del Hotel Ambassador deban ser permitidos a utilizar fondos de impuesto de cama por 15 años para ayudarar a construir su $22,5 millones proyecto céntrico.

Específicamente, la elección especial da a votantes la oportunidad de aprobar (Sí) o negar (no) si los inversionistas/contratistas  deben recibir un reembolso del 75 por ciento de rentas de impuesto de huésped a los visitantes que permanecen en el Hotel Ambassador. Los inversionistas/contratistas serían permitidos el reembolso durante un periodo de 15 años para costos asociados con perfeccionar el hotel.  Para promover turismo local el 25 por ciento completo del impuesto de huésped sería utilizado. Si aprobado por votantes, después de que el hotel haya operado durante 15 años, el reembolso terminaría y rentas de impuesto de huésped serían utilizadas para promover turismo dentro de la ciudad.

Las ordenanzas de la ciudad permiten un impuesto de huésped del seis por ciento para todas las habitaciones de hotel dentro de la Ciudad. El impuesto del huésped, conocido también el impuesto de cama, es utilizado por la Ciudad para pagar obligaciones de deuda de hoteles céntricos, los centros de convenciones y para promover turismo. La elección especial el 28 de febrero no cambiará la evaluación ni la colección del impuesto de huésped de seis por ciento.

La frase de la pregunta de votación se guia bajo el mandato de la Constitución de Kansas.
Un voto de "Sí" significa que la Ciudad le dará a los inversionistas/contratistas del Hotel Ambassador el 75 por ciento del impuesto de huésped durante 15 años. Un voto de “No” significa que la Ciudad no asignará de nuevo el impuesto de huésped. En vez de eso, los fondos completos del impuesto de huésped serán utilizados para promover turismo local.

Para más información sobre la elección especial, inclusive votar de avance:


​City Hall
455 N Main
Wichita, KS 67202​

8 AM - 5 PM
Monday - Friday​

P: (316) 268-4351

Email City Communications

Website Policy  |  User Login