To help youth and adults enjoy a safe Halloween, Wichita Fire Department officials held a news briefing today, Oct. 30, to recommend the following holiday safety information:
- Use a flashlight rather than a candle to illuminate pumpkins and reduce the possibility of a fire;
- Purchase only “flame-proof” or “flame-retardant” costumes and masks;
- Check all candy and treats before eating. Report anything suspicious to the police;
- Consider having a Halloween party at home to keep youth out of the dark and off streets;
- If you trick-or-treat door to door, travel in a group to improve safety.
For more information regarding fire safety, please call Fire Prevention at 268-4441.