Construction progresses, travelers reminded to plan ahead
As construction progresses on the parking garage and rental car center at Wichita’s Mid-Continent Airport, officials have opened additional parking in the Long-Term and Park & Ride lots and have added a second shuttle bus to the Park & Ride route to cut down on wait times.
“We’re on track and pleased with the first 120 days of construction,” said Brad Christopher, Assistant Director of Airports. “While much of the work so far has been site preparation and excavation preparing the site, visitors to the Airport should be able to begin to see the outline of the parking garage soon.”
In Mid-November, the airport plans to re-open the west entrance to the Long-Term lot. A third shuttle from the Park & Ride lot will be added during peak travel holiday times.
During construction, and especially during holiday travel periods, travelers are encouraged to:
- plan ahead
- arrive early (at least 2 hours)
- use the PARK & RIDE lot, where a free shuttle provides curbside service to and from the terminal
- use the free cell phone lot while waiting to pick up an arriving passenger
Travelers also are reminded the following parking limitations remain in effect:
- Short-term parking remains strictly limited to four (4) hours.
- Vehicles remaining in the short-term parking lot for more than four (4) hours will be charged the maximum rate of $50. Vehicles remaining in the lot overnight will be towed at the owner’s expense.
- Parking charges apply to all customers, including those patrons with ADA accessible hang-tags and permits. ADA accessible parking is available in long-term and Park & Ride Lots throughout construction.
The airport parking garage and rental car facility is a $40 million project that coincides with a new terminal currently under construction. Both are scheduled to open in spring of 2015.
Construction progress and parking updates can be followed at www.flywichita.com
and on the Airport’s Facebook page (Facebook.com/flywichita), or on Twitter (@FlyICT).