Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer and Wichita City Council members will host the annual “A Night with Santa” holiday event from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 3 at the Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, 225 W. Douglas. The event is free; donations of non-perishable food items benefiting the Kansas Food Bank are encouraged.
The evening begins outdoors on Kennedy Plaza with the following activities.
Food truck vendors will open for business at 5:30 p.m. around Century II drive.
- The Newman Troubadours will perform.
- Mrs. Clause will read “The Night before Christmas.”
- There will be a Christmas tree lighting ceremony.
- Santa Claus will arrive on a fire truck.
- There will be a fireworks show over the Arkansas River sponsored by the Wichita Federal Credit Union and Go Wichita
- Free Hayrack rides will start at 6:30 p.m. from Bob Brown Expo Hall.
The indoor event, hosted by the Wichita Park and Recreation Department, takes place inside Exhibition Hall. Doors will open to the public at 6:30 p.m. The fun includes games and inflatables for children 12 & under. Participants can have a professional photo taken with Santa for only $5 or take photos with their own cameras for free. Face painters will offer a variety of holiday designs also for $5. Live Christmas trees and bicycles will be awarded at 8:30 p.m.
The event will include street closures at the following locations:
- Douglas Avenue, Main Street to McLean Boulevard
- Waco Street, Douglas Avenue to First Street
- First Street, west side of Waco Street
- Sycamore Street, Douglas Avenue to McLean Boulevard
- Century II Drive from Main St. to Douglas Avenue
- South Cancun Street, Century II Drive to west Tlalnepantla Drive
- North Civic Center Place, north side of Douglas Avenue
- Wichita Street, north side of Douglas Avenue
- Water Street, north side of Douglas Avenue