Nearly 1,000 letters collected by City and its partners
Eight-year-old Taryn Cross is the grand prize winner in this year’s Letters to Santa Project. She will have the opportunity to share her Christmas wishes with the entire community when she appears on the KAKE Channel 10 News with Jemelle Holopirek at 11:30 a.m. on Christmas Eve, Tuesday, Dec. 24. Taryn’s letter was randomly drawn out of nearly 1,000 letters submitted by area children ages 12 and under. Letters to Santa is sponsored by the City of Wichita, Starkey, Inc. and Cambridge Market.
Now in its fourth year, the project is a way for the City of Wichita and its partners to spread holiday cheer. Letters were collected at the Century II Performing Arts & Convention Center, CityArts, the Mid-America All-Indian Center, Old Cowtown Museum, Starkey, Inc. and Cambridge Market from Nov. 18 to Dec. 10. Every child who dropped off a letter with a return address was guaranteed a response from Santa and automatically entered into a prize giveaway.
Taryn was one of seven winners in this year’s Letters to Santa prize giveaway. The complete list includes:
- Jaime Armendatiz, Wichita, gift certificate for four to attend an upcoming performance at Century II
- Cole Whitcomb, Wichita, gift certificate for a youth art class as CityArts
- Jacqueline Nguyen, Wichita, Mid-America All-Indian Center family membership for 2014
- Will Snook, Wichita, Old Cowtown Museum family membership for 2014
- Chloe Fedders, Benton, $50 Cambridge Bucks