The preliminary application process for people seeking Section 8 Housing opened on Wednesday when more than 900 people applied. The application period, which closes at 4 p.m. on Feb. 5, is open 24-hours-a-day online.
The application process does not require a fee, said Mary K. Vaughn, the Director of the City of Wichita Housing and Community Services Department, which administers the program. Applications can be accessed at https://wichita.apply4housing.com
. The online process, which takes less than 10 minutes, does not require any documentation. The applicant will be added to the waiting list - in the order received – and they will be called when vouchers become available.
The waiting list has not been open since 2010, when more than 4,500 people were on the waiting list. Most of them have received assistance. Applicants can use public computers at:
- Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center 2755 E. 19th St. N
- Colvin Neighborhood Resource Center 2718 S. Roosevelt
- Evergreen Neighborhood Resource Center 2700 N. Woodland
- All Wichita Public Libraries—A library card is required to use library computers.
The Urban League of Kansas (2418 E. 9th Street)
- Jan. 22-24, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Jan. 27-31, 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Feb. 3-5, 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
TRIO-Educational Opportunity Centers Program
- WSU Metroplex (29th & Oliver), Entrance N, Room 180
- Jan. 22-24, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Jan. 27-31, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Vaughn said people with disabilities that prevent them from use of a computer should provide the Housing and Community Services with their full name, address, phone number and/or email address. The request may be delivered or mailed to Housing and Community Services Department, 332 N. Riverview, Wichita, KS 67203, or emailed to: Communityhousing@wichita.gov