Damage assessments were conducted for the properties affected by the April 14 tornado. The attached map indicates the levels of damage according to the following descriptions: affected, minor damage, major damage or destroyed.
The breakdown of damaged property is as follows:
- Affected: 3,481 residences and 165 businesses
- Minor damage: 690 residences and 60 businesses
- Major damage: 66 residences and 11 businesses
- Destroyed: 11 residences
Value and loss estimates also have been determined. The estimated total loss value for residences and businesses that were affected, damaged or destroyed is $146,314,885.00; this figure is exclusive of public property.
The damage quotients were calculated in the following manner:
- Affected: 10 percent of the value of the building on the land.
- Minor damage: 20 percent to 30 percent of the value of the building on the land. Utilized 25 percent as the mid-point of the range.
- Major damage: 40 percent to 70 percent of the value of the building on the land. Utilized 55 percent as the mid-point of the range.
- Destroyed: 80 percent to 100 percent of the value of the building on the land. Utilized 90 percent as the mid-point of the range.
Two points of clarification regarding this press release:
- A given property is only included in one category.
- The totals do not include mobile homes, as they are categorized as personal property.