Proposed Budget Released, Online
The City Manager’s 2014 Proposed Budget is posted on www.wichita.gov where residents are encouraged to review the proposals. The Proposed Budget will be presented formally to the Wichita City Council on Tuesday, July 16 during the regular City Council meeting at City Hall, 455 N. Main.
The Proposed Budget was completed after significant community engagement, including meetings with District Advisory Boards, Wichita Independent Neighborhood members, and employee groups. A Social Media Town Hall meeting was held on June 27; a second one is scheduled from 6-7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 17.
Residents are also encouraged to like the City of Wichita on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Highlights of the proposed budget include:
- A stable mill levy rate, for the 20th consecutive year;
- Reserves of more than $23 million, in accordance with City Council policy;
- Increased funding for street maintenance, when combined with CIP funds;
- Strategic restructuring of public safety services that will increase efficiencies;
- Service and staff reductions that capture efficiencies and cost-savings in areas non-mission critical for the City.
The public is invited to participate in additional public budget hearings scheduled for Aug. 6 and Aug. 13, the day the City Council officially adopts the budget, according to state statute.