City of Wichita crews have been applying a salt-sand mix to all snow emergency routes since winter precipitation began yesterday afternoon. Personnel have been operating the full complement of 50 plow trucks overnight to make a complete pass over all the 1,500 lane miles of snow routes, which are the heavily traveled primary streets. Crews are also working to apply the salt-sand mix to school routes.
Crews have been treating the streets since Monday, in advance of the winter storm. A brine solution was applied to snow routes before precipitation began. This solution fights ice and snow accumulation. The brine application, coupled with the salt-sand mix that has been used during the storm, helped keep pavement as clear as possible.
Motorists are urged to proceed with caution and to follow these driving tips:
- Plan extra time to reach your destination;
- Keep your vehicle in proper working order;
- Slow down in slick conditions, allow for extra stopping distance;
- Clear windows and windshield of ice, snow and other obstructions;
- And stay away from safety equipment on the roads.
Maps of the snow routes can be found on the City’s website, under the Public Works & Utilities page.
The Emergency Accident Reporting Plan is in effect. You can find out more information on how to file an accident report.