The City of Wichita is in the process of undertaking upgrades for the Keeper of the Plains in order to improve accessibility, safety and enjoyment of the downtown attraction.
During the project, sections of the Keeper plaza will be cordoned off and inaccessible to visitors. Signage will be posted to alert visitors to closures. Closures will start late next week or the week of October 10. The project is expected to be completed in late December 2016.
The upgrades principally include:
- Addition of new fire sensors to be mounted in artificial rock formations adjacent to fire pots with cover access plates painted to match other iron work on the project.
- Addition of log retaining features along pathways to control erosion of mulch and curtail “walk-thru” by visitors.
- Addition of custom steel “fence” barriers to replace the chain barriers and improve visual aesthetics to fire pots and fountain area.
- Additional signage to encourage visitors to remain on paths.
- Limited stone pavement rehabilitation.
- Addition of stone pavers at lower (fire) plaza to replace mulch and compacted dirt area created by heavy visitor use.
- Limited lighting and other electrical upgrades.
The City of Wichita regrets any inconvenience during the project.