Ken Evans, Strategic Communications Director
P: (316) 268-4351
Email Ken Evans
Leads the development, management and measurement of strategic communications and marketing for the City of Wichita. Responsibilities include chief media strategist and spokesman, and direction of internal and external communications, including oversight of the public information officer, marketing, City7 television, and intergovernmental relations. Evans works with the City Manager and staff, City Council members, department heads and other key stakeholders to promote awareness and understanding of how the City of Wichita serves the public.
Cum Laude graduate of Missouri School of Journalism (University of Missouri-Columbia) with a Bachelor of Journalism degree. Also studied Radio/Television at Kansas State University.
Prior to joining the City Manager staff in this new position in March 2015, Evans spent seven years as an executive consultant, senior communications manager, and company spokesman for Spirit AeroSystems, Inc. (SPR, $7B) including direct support to the CEO and executive team. In the course of a 30-year career, he has also served as director of communications for Jackson County government (Kansas City, Missouri); vice president of public relations, Hinkle Agency (Topeka); public relations director, Kansas Department of Commerce; freelance producer for ABC, NBC, CBS and a host of other networks and news magazines. Evans also covered politics and government as a statehouse reporter/anchor for WIBW-TV, Topeka, Kansas in the late 1980’s. Evans’ work has won numerous awards in news, advertising, e-government, public service, and crisis communications, and has been a national speaker on public relations/media relations.
- Managed strategic communications for Spirit AeroSystems, Inc. including top leadership transition and company transformation (2008-2014).
- Lead Award-winning Spirit Communications team response to Tornado Crisis - April 2012. Stock price down just 1% five days after EF3 tornado shut down the plant, largest customers publicly praised company for rapid recovery, company brand strength reinforced.
- Placed hundreds of stories, columns, and editorials in local, regional, and national media.
- Increased county revenue by $400,000 (2005), and $600,000 (2006) through award-winning multimedia campaign, including a Local Emmy.
- Five consecutive years' exponential growth in citizens doing county business online.
- Successfully bid for Jackson County to host the 2008 National Association of Counties (NACo) Annual Conference.
- Acute understanding of critical success factors in public and media relations, strategy, relationship building, story placement, and social media.
News Production Credits
- ABC (World News Tonight, 20/20, Good Morning America
- FOX NEWS
- Inside Edition
- Medical News Network
- NBC (Nightly News, Dateline, Today Show)
- Real Stories of the Highway Patrol
- RTL Explosiv - Das Magazin (Germany)
- TV Asahi (Japan)
Van Williams, Public Information Office
P: (316) 268-4351
Email Van Williams
Public Information Office provides overall direction, management and implementation of the City of Wichita's public information, media communications, employee communications and public relations program. The PIO is the City spokesperson with the media, oversees media relations, faciltates the media's Kansas Open Records Act requests, issues news releases and conducts news conferences.
Additionally, the PIO:
- Works with media for accurate and timely reporting of City government issues
- Provides media training for elected leaders and employees
- Produces publications and other internal and external communications
- Writes speeches for City officials
- Writes/produces/advises on external communication for all City Departments
- Issues internal communications including employee newsletter
- Issues internal email notices
- Makes public presentations on media/government relations
- Supports events/ceremonies
- Assists with special projects and advertising and promotional efforts
Van Williams is the Public Information Officer who manages media relations and serves as spokesperson for local government. He joined local government in May 2005 after spending 16 years as an award-winning newspaper journalist at the Wichita Eagle where he was a college sportswriter, news editor, election editor and City Hall/investigative reporter. He’s a native of Wichita who graduated from Wichita State University, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in journalism and a master’s degree in public administration. Williams is a board member of the Kansas Health Institute, Wichita Festivals Inc. and a co-founder of Real Heroes, Real Heroes youth-mentoring organization.
Lauragail Gamble, Marketing Services
P: (316) 268-4351
Email Lauragail Gamble
The Marketing Services Director oversees the City's external and internal advertising and communication strategies to inform and engage the public regarding City projects, services, initiatives and partnerships.
The City of Wichita Communications Team strives to increase public awareness, interest, understanding and participation in City accomplishments and issues, supporting its role as an effective, efficient and open government.
Prior to joining the City of Wichita in February of 2008, Lauragail worked as a reporter/subsitute anchor for the local NBC affiliate, KSN News for five years. While at KSN she served as the City of Wichita/Sedgwick County government reporter. Lauragail also held the position of weekend anchor/reporter at the NBC affiliate in Topeka, KS. During her time as journalist she won first and second place awards for her reporting from the Kansas Association of Broadcasters. She also spent a year at the local ABC affiliate, KAKE News, as an assignment editor and graphics assistant. Lauragail is a graduate of Wichita State University and Butler County Community College.
Tyler Schiffelbein, City7 Producer
P: (316) 268-4351 Email Tyler Schiffelbein
- Charge of producing, shooting and editing all videos for City7
- Broadcasts the weekly City Council meetings and helps coordinate special events
Tyler joined the City of Wichita Communications Team in May of 2008. Prior to his position with the City, he was a photographer at KAKE-TV in Wichita, KS. While employed there he was responsible for shooting, editing, lighting, and live truck operation. He began his career in May of 2004 at KAKE's bureau in Garden City, KS as an intern. In Oct. of 2004 he moved to Wichita and became a morning show video producer, and by Jan. of 2005 became a photographer. Tyler graduated from Full Sail Real World Education in Winter Park, FL with an Associates of Science in Film. There he worked on both 16mm and 35mm short films. He is currently seeking Bacherlors in Management in Information Systems at Fort Hays State University.