Healthy Corner Store Initiative
A Healthy Corner Store Initiative (HCSI) is a model for increasing the availability of healthy food in corner stores by identifying a continuum of readiness for store changes and working with small food retailers to increase access to healthy foods. To learn more about the HCSI model, go to The Food Trust's website.
View the Application for Healthy Corner Store Initiative - Program Administrator as well as the Applications Guidelines.
City staff have finalized a Request for Applications (RFA) and Guidelines Document to identify a Program Administrator to develop, manage and coordinate a consortium of organizations to implement a HCSI Food Access Program as part of a sustainable system for addressing food insecurity in the community.
In July 2022, the City Council allocated $1,000,000 in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds to support the creation of a HCSI Program. Funding supported the design of a community-driven 2023 Pilot Program Implementation Plan for a Wichita Healthy Corner Store Initiative informed by stakeholder feedback.
In May 2023, a Request for Proposals (RFP) was released to solicit responses from community-based organizations (CBOs) to implement the HCSI Program in Wichita. This process did not identify a community-driving champion(s) with the infrastructure and grant experience to be the "glue" and bring program components & partners together. To sustain momentum and build trust, the City debriefed with proposers and re-engaged stakeholders to revise and improve the process.
Re-Tool & Lessons Learned
As a result, the City learned more about the community's needs and opportunities to provide services. The City has finalized a Request for Applications (RFA) seeking a Program Administrator to develop, manage and coordinate a consortium of organizations to implement an HCSI Program.
Eligible Applicants are Nonprofit Organizations, Education Institutions, and/or Government Agencies. Qualified Applicants are those with experience receiving and administering federal funding, experience with program management, and have a presence in Wichita engaged in the communities and neighborhoods without access to affordable, culturally appropriate healthy foods.
Once identified, the Program Administrator will create an Application to award funding for the delivery of HCSI Program Services, including distribution support, store owner training, marketing/outreach, community engagement, and nutrition incentives.
The City estimates the 1st round of Applications for a Program Administrator to be published in late January or early February 2024 and open for several weeks. The 2nd round of Applications for HCSI Program Implementation will be released from August to October 2024. All dates are tentative and subject to change. Please contact City staff to be added to the distribution list for updates.
September 2022 - November 2023
- HCSI Program Design and Stakeholder Engagement
- Re-Tooling and Re-design
December 2023 - January 2024
- Development of Draft HCSI Request for Applications (RFA)
February - March 2024
- HCSI RFA Released on Friday, February 2, 2024
February 14, 2024: Application Workshop
- February 14, 2024, at 3 pm in person at City Hall, 455 N Main, Wichita, KS 67202 in the first-floor boardroom and via Zoom.
- Zoom Meeting Link:
Meeting ID: 881 7558 6471
- Zoom Meeting Link:
February 21, 2024
- Last day for written questions sent in writing via email to [email protected].
- Questions answered via addendum by February 28, 2024
March 1, 2024
- HCSI Applications Due on Friday, March 1, 2024, by 3 pm
- The City encourages respondents to leverage resources by coordinating services with other community-based organizations and speak to how your organization collaborates with other nonprofit and community organizations in the Wichita area and embraces innovation.
March - April 2024
- Application Review & Evaluations
May - August 2024
- Contract Negotiations
- City Council Approval for Program Implementation
- 2nd round of Applications released for Program Kick-off
If you are interested in collaborating with the City to increase access to healthy food in Wichita or would like more information, please provide your contact information via email.