How to Plan a Community Event​

All outdoor events on public or private property that meet one or more of the following criteria must complete a Community Event application:

  • Multiple vendors on one property
  • Street closures (other than for neighborhood block parties)
  • Serving and/or selling alcohol
  • Activities on park property
  • Attendance in excess of 250 people at any one time

Ask yourself these basic questions at the beginning of your planning process and before completing the Community Event Application. Determining answers early on will help you organize and execute an effective event that is enjoyable for everyone involved and provides little disruption to the surrounding area.

Be sure to download the community events guide (PDF) to aid you in the application process.

See map for upcoming street closure information.

  • What is your estimated crowd size?
  • What is your parade route? (a site/parade map is a requirement of the parade application)
    • How many entries will be participating?
    • What City streets will be impacted?
    • Will it go through City Parks?
  • Have you enlisted the help of volunteers for such things as setting up barricades and parade staging and disbanding?
  • Have you contacted the Wichita Police Department to create a security plan that incorporates the use of off-duty certified law enforcement officers?
    • The longer the parade route, the more security you may need.
  • Will water, refreshments and food be available to the public? If so, how will they be provided?
    • The location of refreshment tables needs to be noted on your site plan. All vendors selling food will need food handler's licenses and Transient Merchant Licenses from the City.
  • Who will be responsible for setting up and taking down street barricades?
    • The number of barricades you will need depends on the length of your route. It is the promoter's responsibility to rent or borrow the necessary barricades and flashers to close the street. The City does not provide barricades. In addition, the City authorizes only the use of regulation barricades. (No vehicles, bales of hay, rope, etc.)
  • Where will trash containers and portable restrooms be located along the route? Please indicate on site map.
    • Trash containers should be placed at the beginning and end of the route, and at several points along the way.

How to Plan a Block Party

Please keep the following things in mind as you begin planning your Block Party. Being informed about the process will help you organize and execute an effective event that is enjoyable for all those involved.

Residential streets or alleys may be closed for up to 5 hours to hold a neighborhood party involving residents in a block or specific area. No fee is required.

The application includes a petition which should include the name, address and signatures from at least two-thirds of the residents on both sides of the street whose driveway access will be closed. The purpose is to notify and obtain permission from the residents for the street closure. The application must also provide the date, time and location of the block party, as well as a contact person (including cell phone number) for the duration of the event. The applicant signing the form requesting the street closure is responsible for any damages to people or property.

A letter of approval will be returned to the sender. Police, Fire and Transit Departments will also be notified of the event approval for their information. To facilitate the quickest response, applicants are encouraged to provide an email address on the application to which the approval letter may be sent.

Barricades & Flashers

Residents are responsible for renting or borrowing the necessary regulation barricades and flashers to close the street. Businesses that rent barricades are listed in the Yellow Pages (or you may borrow from a contractor, if feasible).

The City does not provide barricades. In addition, the City authorizes only the use of regulation barricades. (No vehicles, bales of hay, rope, sawhorse, etc.) All barricades must be removed no later than 10 pm.

For other questions, please email a Community Event Coordinator or call 316-268-4665.

How to Apply

Submit the Block Party Application (PDF) at least five business days prior to the event.

Application may be delivered in person or mailed to this address:
City of Wichita
455 N Main, 11th Floor
Wichita, KS 67202

Or email application to Special Events.

Related Links