Open Burning

Depending on the type and location of the burn, state approval and/or a local burn permit may be required.

State Approval Process

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment - Bureau of Air has the authority to implementation of the Kansas Air Quality Regulations in Sedgwick County. All applications for approval to conduct an open burning operation within the boundaries of Sedgwick County that is not otherwise exempt from the prohibition on open burning imposed by Kansas Administrative Regulation (K.A.R.) 28-19-645 should be directed to the KHDE South Central District Office at 316-337-6020.

View Kansas Open Burning Regulations (PDF).

Local Burn Permits

Communities served by Fire District 1 should refer to the guidance and application on the Sedgwick County website. Communities not served by Fire District 1 should contact their local fire department for burn permits.

Visit the Wichita Fire Department's Burn Permit web page.

View the Sedgwick County Burn Permit Application.