Lawn Care Rebate Program
Clean air is an important part of staying healthy while outdoors. Gas- and diesel-powered lawn equipment produces emissions that affect our air quality. A typical gas lawnmower is estimated to produce 6 times the emissions as the average passenger vehicle. These emissions contribute to ground-level ozone and pollution, which can be harmful to children, the elderly, and those with respiratory conditions like asthma.
The City of Wichita's air quality program encourages residents in Sedgwick, Sumner, and Harvey County to reduce harmful lawn-related emissions by using cleaner electric, battery-operated, and self-propelled lawn equipment.
Up to $100 rebates are available for residents in those counties who purchase new non-combustion lawn equipment and recycle their old combustion equipment. Up to a $30 rebate is available for mulch blades, no recycling required.
- New equipment, not used or refurbished
- Corded electric or battery-powered
- Lawn care equipment including mowers, edgers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, and leaf blowers; other landscaping/garden equipment does not qualify for rebate
- ABC Recycling - 815 E Gilbert Street, Wichita, KS 67211; 316-269-2900
- AllMetal Recycling- (Various Locations) 800 E 21st Street North, Wichita, KS 67214; 316-262-1475
- Sedgwick County Household Hazardous Waste - 801 W Stillwell Street, Wichita, KS 67213; 316-660-7464
- Rebate is available for up to two purchase per household, up to $100 per item
- Mulch blades are available for an up to a $30 rebate.
- The rebate program will run from March 1, 2024 to December 31, 2024 or when funds are exhausted. Rebate applications must be postmarked no later than 90 days after the purchase of qualified products.
- Sale receipt of equipment and verification of recycle must be provided with application or it will be denied. Applicants must reapply if they were denied for not providing their sale receipt and/or recycling verification. Recycling is not required to receive a rebate on mulch blades.
- Equipment must meet specifications as follows:
- New equipment, not used or refurbished.
- Corded electric or battery-powered
- Lawn care equipment including mowers, edgers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, mulch blades, and leaf blowers; other landscaping/garden equipment does not qualify for rebate
- Items are selected on the basis of non-combustion power type only.
- The City of Wichita does not endorse specific brands, products or dealers; nor does it guarantee materials, workmanship, performance or durability of the qualifying items.
- Rebates will not exceed the purchase price of the item(s). Sales tax and labor charges will not be rebated. Rebate will be in the form of a check issued to the name and address provided and may take up to 4 weeks for approval and mailing.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to obtain verification of recycling and recycling is required to receive the rebate.
- Old equipment must be recycled in an approved and appropriate manner that will prevent further use or reuse of the old device. Equipment must be drained of gas or oil prior to recycling. Recycling is not required to receive a rebate on mulch blades.
- ABC Recycling - All equipment.
- AllMetal Recycling - Mowers only.
- Old gas and oil should be disposed of properly at Sedgwick County Household Hazardous Waste or other appropriate facility.
- The City of Wichita reserves the right to amend and/or discontinue this program without notice.
- This rebate program has limited funds and shall terminate upon depletion of program funding.
Apply below or download and view a PDF copy of the Lawn Care Rebate Form Application (PDF).