Burn Permit Requirements
- Required 250-foot clearance from any property line, structure, or roadway, or approved by the Wichita Fire Department.
- Open burning shall not take place when wind velocity exceeds 15 mph.
- Responsible persons shall be present when burning is conducted and provide fire protection.
- The current Burn Permit must be on-site when burning.
- Fire must be completely out one hour before sundown (except by special permission).
- Fire Dispatchers must be notified at 911 each day prior to burning.
- No material shall be burned except the types listed on the permit.
- Burning must not create dense smoke, smoke nuisance, or a traffic hazard.
- Only trees, wood, vegetation rubbish will be allowed to be burned. Materials being burned must be from the burn permit site, no transporting material from another site is allowed.
- Not allowed to burn - construction materials, trash, plastics, tires, asphalt roofing material, asbestos-containing material, aerosol cans, coated wire, etc.
Apply for a Burn Permit
If you want to apply for a permit or have questions about the process, please contact the Community Risk Reduction Division at 316-268-4441.
Recreational Fires & Fire Pit Rules
Download and review the Recreational Fire Pit Rules (PDF).
Open burns other than recreational fires or portable outdoor fireplaces require a Wichita Fire Department burn permit.
Requires a Wichita Fire Department Burn Permit. A bonfire shall not be conducted within 50 feet of a structure or combustible material, unless the fire is contained in a barbecue pit. Conditions that could cause a fire to spread within 50 feet of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
Open burning, ceremonial bonfires, recreational fires, and use of portable outdoor fireplaces shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum rating of 4-A or other approved on-site fire extinguishing equipment (such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose, or water truck, shall be available for immediate utilization.