Public Water Supply

How Wichita Produces Water

Wichita gets its drinking water from Cheney Reservoir and the Equus Bed Aquifer. Water travels from these locations via large transmission pipes to the water treatment plant. Once treated, the water is distributed to homes, businesses, and wholesale customers.


Water Quality Report

View past and current Water Quality Reports which are snapshots of the quality of the water that is provided yearly. Included are details about where your water comes from, what it contains, and how it compares to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state standards.

Boil Water Advisory

  1. English
  2. Spanish

In the event of a boil water advisory, incident-specific information will be provided via news briefings, social media, direct messaging and the website Alert Wichita Alert. The example below illustrates what might be sent in the event of a boil water advisory:

Customers should observe the following precautions until further notice:

  • Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.
  • Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
  • Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.

Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.

Regardless of whether the public water supplier or the Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) announced a boil water advisory, only KDHE can issue the rescind order following testing at a certified laboratory.

For consumer questions, City of Wichita at 316-265-1300, or KDHE at 785-296-5514. For consumer information please visit KDHE's PWS Consumer Information webpage.

Restaurants and other food establishments that have questions about the impact of the boil water advisory on their business can email the Kansas Department of Agriculture's food safety and lodging program or call 785-564-6767.