The City of Wichita's Division of Arts & Cultural Services is a local art agency that works to support and advance Wichita's arts community and foster collaborations and connections with statewide, regional, and national arts partners.
Arts & Cultural Services is responsible for:
- Managing day-to-day operations of CityArts, Mid-America All-Indian Museum, and Old Cowtown Museum
- Managing the City's Public Art Collection and implementation of the Percent for Art Program
- The implementation of the Cultural Arts Plan
- Coordinating citywide community events as they relate to the Community Event Ordinance
- Administering the Cultural Funding Program and managing partnership agreements with Cultural Institutions
- Provide staff support and leadership to the following boards:
- Cultural Funding Committee
- Design Council
- Arts Council
- Tourism Business Improvement District Advisory Board
- Historic Wichita Cowtown, Inc. Board
- Mid-America All-Indian Museum Board of Trustees
- CityArts Advisory Committee
As outlined in the 2013 Cultural Arts Plan Addendum, the Division of Arts and Cultural Services Vision and Mission Statements are:
Vision Statement: Arts and culture are essential to vital, healthy urban communities; we recognize that Wichita is home to people from throughout the world whose gifts of art, culture and customs are rich resources to be shared; we acknowledge that arts reflect the character of a city and its inhabitants, and that experiencing arts and culture is nourishing and life affirming; therefore, the mission of the City of Wichita through the Division of Arts and Cultural Services is as follows:
- To establish a cultural system that ensures that ALL Wichita citizens and visitors have an opportunity to experience the finest in arts and culture.
- To oversee the Division of Arts and Cultural Services, which develops, implements, administers and promotes programs or initiatives that support this mission, and reflect the City's core values of integrity, leadership, innovation, commitment, sensitivity and teamwork.
- To provide the funds and other resources sufficient to ensure the accomplishment of this mission, including efforts that strengthen arts and cultural organizations by envisioning the arts as key elements in the City's Cultural Tourism and Economic Development efforts.
- To work cooperatively with the Arts Council which is designated by the City Council to be the focal point committed to arts and culture and who are representative of the community, to develop and oversee the policies necessary to meet the City's mission and shall include appointed City council members.