On November 13, 2018, Pete Meitzner announced his resignation, effective January 12, 2019, as City Council member for City Council District II because he was elected to the Sedgwick County Commission. It is now necessary for the City Council to set in motion the procedure for filing the vacant position in City Council District II.
Section 2.04.040 of the City Code provides the following steps for filling the vacancy:
- The City Council announces the Notice of Vacancy in District II.
- The City Council announces that petitions by candidates to fill the vacancy must be filed with the City Clerk within three weeks unless a time certain is otherwise indicated by the City Council.
- The City Council also designates the District Advisory Board for Council District II as the appropriate group to conduct a public forum to screen the candidates.
- The District Advisory Board for District II shall hold a forum open to the public to screen all candidates who filed a lawful petition for candidacy.
- At the conclusion of the public forum, the District Advisory Board for District II shall, by majority vote of the members present, nominate not less than four and not more than five candidates for the City Council to consider. If less than four candidates have filed a lawful petition for candidacy, all shall be publicly considered, and all forwarded to the governing body for consideration.
- At the next regular meeting of the City Council following the nomination, at which all of the remaining Council members are present, the remaining Council members shall elect by written ballot from those nominated a new member to fill in the vacancy in City Council District II for a temporary term of office ending on January 13, 2020. Such election to the temporary term of office ending on January 13, 2020, shall require a majority vote (four votes).
Significant dates for filling District II Council vacancy
- Petitions from applicants are due at 5 p.m. on Dec. 7, 2018, to the City of Wichita City Clerk's Office, 455 N. Main, 13th Fl.
- Petitions sent to Election Office on Dec. 10, 2018, for validation
- District Advisory Board meeting to interview applicants with valid petitions will be at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 17, 2018, at the Rockwell Library, 5939 E. 9th St.
- Council one-on-one interviews between Dec. 20, 2018, and January 7, 2019
- City Council votes on replacement during Jan. 8, 2019, meeting
- New District II Council Member sworn in on Jan. 15, 2019