Sign In

First Time in Court

Appearing in Cou​​rt

Names appear on the dockets posted outside each courtroom. You are not required to check in prior to your scheduled court appearance. The judge will call your name to see if you are present. Your assigned time is when the session begins.

The length of the session is determined by the number of people also assigned to the same time.

Make sure you understand the Judge's instructions before leaving the courtroom. If you do not understand what was said, ask the judge to explain.

What You Need to Bring

When comi​ng to court, be sure to bring all information that pertains to your court case(s) with you.

For example, proof of insurance for an insurance charge, proof of a valid Driver's License for a DL change, or proof of a hospital stay for a missed court date.​


Under the following circumstances you may be entitled to have your citation dismissed:​

expand Title : Child Passenger Act (under 4 years) ‎(1)
expand Title : Defects Repaired & Approved by WPD Prior to Suspension Order ‎(1)
expand Title : Drivers License ‎(1)
expand Title : Liability Insurance ‎(1)

Right to Counsel and Trial

You are here to answer to a complaint alleging that on a certain date you were in violation of a City of Wichita Ordinance.

You have the right to legal representation by an attorney for any case in Municipal Court. If you face a jail term of 6 months or more, and a judge finds you do not have the financial means to hire an attorney, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you. You do not have a choice in the selection of the court-appointed attorney. You also have the right to proceed without an attorney and represent yourself or retain your own attorney.

On your first appearance in Court, you may request additional time to consult with an attorney. Upon your request for time to consult with an attorney, the Judge will continue your case to a later date.

If you want a trial and intend to represent yourself, you must sign a form waiving your right to an attorney. At that point, your case will be set for trial. If you desire, you may hire an attorney to represent you.

If you do not want a trial, you may enter a plea at that time, those options are listed below.

A City Prosecutor may speak with defendants who are not represented by counsel. This allows the Prosecutor and the defendant to discuss possible resolutions to a pending case.

Prosecutors are not allowed to speak with defendants who are represented by legal counsel.

Your fine and costs are due at the time of sentencing; however, payment options may be available. If payment is not received within 30 days, the unpaid balance will be sent to collection.

Plea Opti​​ons​​

expand Title : Guilty ‎(1)
expand Title : No Contest ‎(1)
expand Title : Not Guilty ‎(1)