Sign In

How to Become a Participating Landlord

When a family has been determined eligible for assistance, they will receive a Voucher (Form HUD-52646). Then they begin their search for a suitable unit. Landlords may list their properties with the HCV program by going to​.

  1. A family contacts owner/landlord to express interest in a listed property. The owner/landlord should ask to see the Voucher and check the expiration date (found in upper right hand corner). If the date is current the applicant is eligible for assistance.
  2. It is the responsibility of the owner/landlord to screen the family for suitability as a tenant. The Section 8 Office only verifies family income and composition. When the Section 8 Office receives the Request for Tenancy Approval (Form HUD-52517) the assumption will be made that the owner/landlord has screened and approved the applicant as a tenant.
  3. After the owner/landlord approves the family, the family and landlord complete the Request for Tenancy Approval (Form HUD-52517) which the family should have. It must be completed in its entirety and signed. The Request for Tenancy Approval and the lease (if applicable) must be returned to the Section 8 office immediately. Section 8 staff will review the signed Request for Tenancy Approval and determine if the rent is affordable based on the family's income and if it is reasonable when compared to units in the private market (Rent Reasonableness).
  4. Once Step 3 has been completed and the unit is determined affordable and meets Rent Reasonableness requirements, owner/landlord will receive a telephone call notifying them of the inspection date and time. The landlord must be present at the time of inspection.

    If the unit does not meet HQS requirements, owner/landlord will receive a list of repairs and a certain amount of time to make the repairs before re-inspection.

    If the unit passes inspection, the Section 8 office will enter into a Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract with the owner/landlord and the family will enter into a lease with the owner/landlord. After the contract and lease have been executed, the family may move into the unit.

    The Fiscal Services Division of the Section 8 HCV Office will begin process payments to the owner/landlord for the Section 8 portion of the rent. The Section 8 Office will prorate the first month's contract rent payment according to the effective date of HAP contract and make all other payments in a timely manner.

More Information

If you would like information on becoming a HCV landlord or if you have general questions, please ​​vist the Housing and Urban Development (HUD) link below. This link provides HCV Landlords with resources and more.