Area Median Income for Wichita, KS based on household size
|Income Limit Category
(Categoria Limite de Ingresos)
|2022 Limit for Persons in Family (Personas en Familia)
In order to be eligible for housing stabilization services, one or more individuals within the household must be able to demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability, which may include:
- A rent notice, eviction notice, non-renewal of lease notice, referral from another agency that addresses homelessness, eviction in the last 60 days
- Unsafe or unhealthy living conditions, which may include overcrowding (may include vermin, mold, water leaks, inadequate heating/cooling systems)
- Will need to have open case with MABCD and landlord has had chance to respond
- Claims of overcrowding will need to be supported with documentation from landlord.
- Any other evidence of such risk
- A housing cost burden that makes it difficult for renters to afford their housing costs
- Informal rental arrangements with little or no legal protection
- Evidence the household is forgoing or delaying the purchase of essential goods or services in order to pay rent or utilities, such as food, prescription drugs, childcare, transportation, or equipment needed for remote work or school
- Evidence the household is relying on credit cards, payday lenders, or other high-cost debt products, or depleting savings, to pay for rent or utilities, rather than wages or other income.
Period and Type of Assistance Allowed
Financial Assistance can be provided for a period not to exceed three months. Eligible applicants may receive one assistance with rental deposit and whole or partial rental payments for up to three months. If a household has been provided a total of eighteen months of assistance from WERAP previously, they would not be eligible for housing stability assistance. Approved individuals will receive a one time series of payments for up to 3 months. The Three payments will cover deposit and first month's rent. Followed by 50% of rent being paid for months second and third month. Before payments are issued for second and third months the client will need to provide documentation that their portion of the rent has been paid.
In addition to the financial assistance eligible applicants may receive additional support services for three months. This may be via a referral to another City of Wichita department, division of housing, or a referral to a community agency that aids in identified area of need. The goal here is to address other factors that may have contributed to the client becoming housing instable. Examples of issues that may require additional support services are:
- Job search or training services
- Budgeting or credit counseling guidance
- Assistance with recovering a lost or stolen ID
- Mental/Physical health