Sign In

Claim for Damages

​If you believe the City of Wichita is at fault for an incident or accident resulting in loss, damage or injury to you or your property, then you may file a Claim for Damages. The Claim for Damages form is available to download from the City of Wichita's website (, or you may call the Law Department at (316) 268-4681 to request that a form be mailed to you.

Once your claim has been received, it will be investigated by the City of Wichita. The City's Law Department will notify you in writing of the outcome, which may be one of the following:

  1. Denial - There was no negligence by the City of Wichita based on the evidence and applicable law.
  2. Offer - The City of Wichita will offer a payment for the claim.
  3. Another resolution as the facts of the claim may dictate.
Claims for Damage Form

As required by Kansas statute, you must mail or hand-deliver the completed Claim for Damages form with your supporting documentation to:

City Clerk
455 N Main, 13th Floor
Wichita, KS 67202

Please allow 6-8 weeks for processing.

Claims for Damage Form​​​

​Frequently Asked Questions​

Disclaimer: The City of Wichita is providing this information as a public service, and it is not intended as legal advice. The City of Wichita recommends you seek the advice of a competent attorney at your own expense for assistance with your claim.​

expand Title : 1. Why do I have to file a Claim for Damages form? ‎(1)
expand Title : 2. Why do I have to provide a copy of my vehicle title/registration? ‎(1)
expand Title : 3. Why do I have to give my insurance information on the Claim for Damages form? ‎(1)
expand Title : 4. When is the City responsible for a claim? ‎(1)
expand Title : 5. When is the City of Wichita NOT responsible for my claim? ‎(1)
expand Title : 6. How long will it take for the City of Wichita to respond to my claim? ‎(1)
expand Title : 7. How can I check on the status of my claim? ‎(1)
expand Title : 8. What about my medical bills or other expenses that are due while I am waiting for the City of Wichita to respond to my claim? ‎(1)
expand Title : 9. What if the City of Wichita has denied my claim and I do not agree? ‎(1)