Sign In

Emergency Accident Reporting Plan

Contact: Wichita Police Accident Follow-Up Unit |

With the cold weather rapidly approaching, the Wichita Police Department (WPD) would like to remind citizens how to report an accident when the Emergency Accident Reporting Plan (EARP) is in effect. The Emergency Accident Reporting Plan provides residents with convenient options to report accidents during times of inclement weather.

The EARP is activated when weather and road conditions become hazardous due to buildup of winter precipitation and the number of accidents exceeds the ability for the WPD to respond to all accidents and provide other vital police services. Once EARP is activated, local media stations will be notified and asked to alert the public. Emergency 911 dispatchers also will advise callers to report a collision. The EARP only applies to non-injury accidents and accidents that do not involve alcohol or drugs and if vehicles are moveable.

Motorists using the emergency reporting plan must remember to exchange relevant information including name, address, phone numbers, insurance carrier, policy number, vehicle tag and descriptions as well as vehicle identification numbers if available. They should also describe the damage. Motorists must provide key information regardless of fault.

Involved motorists may:

  • Visit a neighborhood sub-station to report the accident. Sub-stations are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week.
  • Pickup a report form at a Wichita QuikTrip. The motorist must complete the form and submit it to a sub-station during regular business hours.
  • Visit and click on the Police link under City Office, then open the “Make an on-line traffic accident report” link. Motorists must complete the form and a case number will be emailed back within 48 hrs.
City of Wichita logo

Visiting City Hall?

​City Hall
455​ N Main, 13th Floor
Wichita, KS 67202​

Where do I park?

Security Guidelines

City Hall Hours

8am - 5pm (M-F)

List of holiday ​closures

​Contact Us

Got a question? Chat live with a customer service rep

Website questions? Email the ​Webmaste​​r ​​​​​​

Media questions? Email City ​Communications