The two-day Better Block event starts today. It will occur from 4 to 9 p.m. today and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday at the intersection of Douglas Avenue and Hydraulic Street in the Douglas Design District.
Better Block is a temporary transformation of Douglas Avenue as a more bicycle-, pedestrian-, and transit-friendly street, mixed with public art, culture, pop-up businesses and street life. The Better Block event is part of the City of Wichita Bicycle Master Plan; a plan to make getting around on a bicycle safer, easier, and more convenient. The event will also provide people opportunities to experience the following features.
- Ride your bicycle in the bike lane and cycle track
- Relax with sidewalk seating
- Experience public art
- Utilize later and more frequent bus service (Friday night)
- Discover the enhanced pedestrian crossing
- Enjoy an assortment of dining and shopping opportunities
- Admire the pedestrian scale lighting
- Try the back-in angled parking
Also, at 5 p.m. today, Vice Mayor Janet Miller will present the Tour de Cure and Bike Month Proclamation at Tanya’s Soup Kitchen in the Better Block. For more information about Better Block and the Wichita Bicycle Master Plan, please visit www.wichita.gov and click on the Bicycle Master Plan icon.