City of Wichita crews have been applying liquid brine to Wichita roadways in preparation for the forecasted winter storm. Additional treatment will be applied throughout the weekend and as road conditions warrant.
City officials say 50 trucks will be mobilized on rotating 12-hour shifts to provide a response through the duration of the storm.
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch, effective from 3 a.m. on Saturday until 6 a.m. on Sunday. A winter storm is forecasted to impact the region from Friday night through Saturday. Freezing rain, sleet, and snow are expected, with three to six inches of snow and two tenths of an inch of ice forecasted.
Weather and road conditions will be monitored continuously by City staff, and updates will be provided when necessary. Motorists are urged to proceed with extreme caution and to follow the following driving tips:
- Plan extra time to reach your destination;
- Keep your vehicle in proper working order;
- Slow down in slick conditions, allow for extra stopping distance;
- Clear windows and windshield of ice, snow and other obstructions;
- And stay away from safety equipment on the roads.