With frigid temperatures remaining through the next several days, City of Wichita officials on Wednesday reminded residents to monitor water pipes at their homes.
The following tips can help prevent frozen pipes:
- Disconnect gardening hoses and cover faucets outside the home.
- Insulate the pipes nearest external walls with either pipe insulation or heating tape.
- Occasionally open cabinet doors that enclose pipes to allow heat to reach these pipes.
- Know where your main water valve and the valve on your water heater are located. Knowing these locations will come in handy in case of a water emergency.
- Remember that homes with an internal temperature of 68 degrees or above are less likely to experience frozen pipes.