Beginning Tuesday, May 26, Wichita Public Library locations will reopen with limited in-person services. The Library is following guidance from the City, County, State and Centers for Disease Control regarding best safety practices for customers and staff.
Only the following services will be offered during this time:
- Pick up holds (curbside and drive up window service, inside Library locations with staff assistance)
- Public computing and WiFi with limited seating capacity
- Print, copy and fax services
- Book-A-Librarian technology help (by appointment only) at the Advanced Learning Library
The Linwood Park Branch, located inside the Linwood Recreation Center, will remain closed to the public but will continue offering curbside materials pick up service.
Parts of each Library location will be blocked from public use:
- Customers will not be able to browse materials on shelves. Library staff will provide a concierge service to retrieve materials for customers.
- The Research Pavilion at the Advanced Learning Library will be closed during this time.
- Children's areas at all locations will be closed during this time.
- Collaboration rooms will be taken out of service.
- Furniture will be rearranged or removed to encourage social distancing.
To provide safe interactions with customers, the following safety protocols will be enforced:
- Customers and staff are required to wear a cloth face covering. Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unable to remove the mask without assistance.
- Floor markers will be added to high traffic areas to facilitate social distancing.
- Building capacity limits for each location will be reduced to reflect social distancing guidelines within the limited areas open for public use.
Other important information regarding the Library's reopening:
- The first hour of operation Monday-Saturday will be reserved for vulnerable populations. This includes seniors, pregnant women, those with compromised immune systems and other at-risk populations.
- No in-person programs, events or meeting room rentals will take place until a later date.
- No materials donations will be accepted until a later date.
- The Friends of the Wichita Public Library used bookstore, located inside the Advanced Learning Library, will be closed until a later date.
The Wichita Public Library appreciates the attention to these important points regarding customer and staff safety, and limited services. Customers may call (316) 261-8500 during regular business hours for more information, or visit wichitalibrary.org/covid-19.
The Wichita Public Library provides collections and services that inform, entertain and enrich the quality of life in Wichita. For more information, please visit