WICHITA, KS – A new, cashless exit from the Kansas Turnpike to US 54/Kellogg Avenue is scheduled to open during the morning on Monday, February 1, with a virtual celebration.
The exit is another milestone for the East Kellogg improvement projects and a first for the Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) – one of three partners on projects, which includes the Kansas Department of Transportation and City of Wichita. It will be a different experience for travelers, particularly customers who typically use a tollbooth to pay with cash or card.
This is how it works:
- Drivers traveling on the turnpike will use Exit 53A for West US 54/400/Kellogg Avenue, follow the posted speed limit and slowly merge into westbound traffic
- Drivers will not stop to pay their toll.
- Electronic customers will be billed as normal. Instead of paying at a tollbooth, customer who usually pay with cash or card will have 10 days to on online to go online to
www.paykta.com. There they can pay for their trip at the cash rate using their license plate, after the trip has been processed.
- If the toll is not paid within 10 days, a statement will be mailed at a higher rate. Failure to pay the statement will result in a violation statement.
- More information is available through this instructional video:
"How PayKTA.com Works"
Wildcat Construction is the contractor for the multi-year projects, which started in August 2015 and includes a redesigned Kellogg and Webb intersection and widening of Kellogg from Webb to Greenwich. A second project, started in 2016, continues widening Kellogg to a six-lane freeway between Greenwich and K-96. In addition to this new turnpike exit, new ramps are being constructed for eastbound US 54 to both northbound and southbound I-35/KTA.
While the project at Webb Road is considered substantially complete, both projects are expected to be finalized in late 2021, weather permitting.
To be part of the virtual opening celebration, follow Kansas Turnpike on Facebook. View this
cashless tolling page on KTA's web site to learn more. For information about the East Kellogg improvement projects, go to
eastkelloggimprovements.com, or follow the progress on Twitter @e54ict.