In the interest of conserving energy, the City of Wichita is closing multiple public facilities through the end of day Wednesday, February 17.
The building shutdowns are a temporary and a precautionary measure that the City is taking to preserve power supplies for residents and critical operations.
City facilities that will close include:
- Mid-America All-Indian Museum
- Old Cowtown Museum
- OJ Watson Park
- City of Wichita Recreation Centers
- Ralph Wulz Riverside Tennis Center
- All Wichita Public Library locations, which will also close by 6 p.m. this evening
- All aesthetic lights that do not impact the safety of pedestrian and motorists, including spotlights on City hall and in Old Town
Operations at these facilities are expected to resume at normal hours on Thursday, February 18. However, the closures could be extended if the energy companies request continued energy reductions.
Temperatures at most other occupied municipal facilities are set at 67-68 degrees.