The Wichita Public Library’s Summer Reading Program is back from May 25-August 1, 2023. This year’s theme, ‘All Together Now,’ emphasizes the importance of community and bringing people together. Toddlers, kids, teens – and for the first time, adults – are invited to read books, participate in educational programs and activities, and win cool prizes all summer long!
The Summer Reading Program combats learning loss during time away from school, especially during the summer break. The program keeps young minds active through reading and educational activities.
Pre-registration for the Summer Reading Program begins May 1. The Program begins May 25 - this is when participants can pick up supplies from their favorite Wichita Public Library location. Participants can begin picking up their prizes on June 27. The last day of Summer Reading is August 1.
This year, the Library will offer four levels of participation:
- Pre-Readers (birth-preschoolers) encourages caregivers to pick up a timed reading record with tracking stickers to see how often they can read together.
- Kids Read (kindergarten-fifth grade) lets kids set their own reading goals using a new badge book to track progress.
- Teens Read (sixth-twelfth grade) lets teens track their own reading goals with a customizable journal.
- Adult Summer Reading (ages 18+) encourages adult to use the Beanstack app and play bingo to earn a free slice of pizza (or other food) from a local restaurant while supplies last. Black outs on the bingo card gives adults entry into a grand prize drawing – two free dinner/show tickets to Mosley Street Melodrama.
Aside from the traditional reading program, there is a full schedule of fun and educational activities for kids and teens at most locations, including a series of musicians and performers FREE for families:
- Little Miss Ann, Thursday, June 8, 11:30 a.m. at Walters Branch, 2:30 p.m. at Rockwell Branch
- Lucky Diaz, Tuesday, June 13, 10:30 a.m. at Alford Branch, 2:30 p.m. at Evergreen Branch
- STEMusic Concert, Thursday, June 22, 2:30 p.m. at Rockwell Branch
- STEMusic Concert, Saturday, June 24, 10:30 a.m. at Advanced Learning Library
- The Uncle Devin Show, Tuesday, June 27, 10:30 a.m. at Alford Branch, 2:30 p.m. at Angelou Branch
- Mr. Stinky Feet, Monday, July 24, 10:30 a.m. at Advanced Learning Library, 2:30 p.m. at Alford Branch
For a complete schedule of activities and more information about the program, visit wichitalibrary.org/summerreading.
Note: The Westlink Branch Library will operate out of a temporary location for 12-14 months beginning May 22 due to construction at the branch. If you use the Westlink Branch, visit us at 7011 W. Central, Suite 205 (Central and Ridge). More information about this project is available at wichitalibrary.org/westlinkremodel.